The Cogut Institute sponsors two participants at the School of Criticism and Theory (SCT) at Cornell University. Sponsored participants are guaranteed a place in the program, with tuition paid by the Cogut Institute. Sponsored participants can be advanced graduate students or faculty members. An additional housing allowance of up to $1,000, reimbursed with proper documentation, is included for graduate students.
The School of Criticism and Theory, currently headed by Hent de Vries (New York University), is “an international program of study with leading figures in critical thought.” It is held every year between mid-June and late July on the Cornell University campus in Ithaca, NY. Participants have the opportunity to join a six-week seminar as well as mini-seminars and lectures. Information about the 2020 session is forthcoming.
Applicants must be faculty or graduate students at Brown University.
Graduate students should:
- Already be supported (i.e., be a continuing student with support in the department).
- Have passed their exams and advanced to the dissertation writing stage.
- Have the support of their advisor and Director of Graduate Studies.
- Not be beyond the sixth year of their doctoral program.
Applications open on Friday, November 1 and close on Wednesday, January 15, 2019. Applicants must submit the following materials via the SCT Tuition Fellowship form (you must be logged into your Brown email to complete and submit the form):
- A statement of purpose. The statement of purpose should not exceed two pages. It should describe current scholarly interests and plans and explain how the SCT might further those interests and plans. The statement should include information about courses taken and/or taught in criticism and theory.
- A C.V.
Applicants must also request:
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should be emailed separately to [email protected]. Applications are not considered complete until letters of recommendation have been received.
Selections are made by the governing board of the Cogut Institute. Upon selection, sponsored participants will be asked to submit their statement of purpose and C.V. through the SCT application system. We will provide you with a letter of support.
Questions? Please email [email protected].