The Cogut Institute for the Humanities sponsors academic-year-long Graduate Fellowships each year for Brown graduate students in the humanities. Doctoral students who have advanced to candidacy are eligible and encouraged to apply. We are able to offer up to four fellowships for 2018-19. Graduate fellows in their fourth or fifth years of study will be funded by the Graduate School. Graduate fellows in the sixth year will have their stipend and health insurance coverage funded by the Cogut Institute, and they must also simultaneously apply for a dissertation completion fellowship from the Graduate School to cover tuition costs.
Graduate Fellows receive office space at the Humanities Institute and are expected to participate actively in the Cogut Institute’s regularly scheduled Fellows' Seminars and other center events. Graduate Fellowships provide an enhanced context for advanced doctoral students, including the opportunity for presentation of work and the benefits of critique from an exciting group of Cogut Institute Faculty Fellows, International Humanities and Mellon Postdoctoral Fellows, and Distinguished Visiting Fellows.
To apply, Brown doctoral students must submit the following by the application deadline:
- An abstract (no more than one page) outlining your dissertation project and its schedule of progress and completion.
- A statement (no more than three pages, single-spaced) outlining how your research would benefit from and contribute to a collective seminar experience among scholars in the humanities.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must come from your principal dissertation advisor.
- A letter of support from your department’s Director of Graduate Study
- A short writing sample (8-20 pages: your briefest, best work)
- A completed application form.
One copy of application materials must be submitted electronically to Humanities-Institute@brown.edu. Faculty reference letters may also be submitted electronically.
Four Graduate Fellowships are awarded annually by the governing board of the Cogut Institute for the Humanities. Fellowships cover the enrollment fee, health insurance, the health services fee, and a stipend.
Applications will be accepted starting Thursday, December 6, 2017. Application deadline for 2018-19 cohort: Friday, January 26, 2018. Successful candidates will be notified by March 1, 2018.