Assistant Curator for Digital Outreach
The Assistant Curator for Digital Outreach is a two-year term position designed to broaden awareness of cultural heritage resources in the John Carter Brown Library to Hispanic communities in the Americas and throughout the world, communities for whom many of the Library’s resources are highly relevant. More than 10,000 books and 1,500 maps, as well as thousands of individual illustrations, have been digitized and made freely available through the Library’s open-access policy. The Assistant Curator will identify opportunities to create and enhance descriptions of rare materials and create Wikipedia entries that connect those using online resources to the Library’s collection, including the editing of existing Wikipedia entries, adding citations to resources at the Library, creating new entries based on the Library's resources, and incorporating related technologies to increase the value of information available on Wikipedia and other online sites.
In addition, the Assistant Curator will serve as a liaison between the Wikipedia organization and the Library. S/he will organize and coordinate events such as hackathons that bring library staff, patrons, the Brown University community, and others together. The Assistant Curator will report to the Assistant Director for Digital Engagement (a new position at the Library) and will help to integrate outreach through Wikipedia and other online sources with the broader digital strategies currently under development at the Library.
- Spanish-language fluency; proficiency in written English
- Excellent writing skills, including significant experience in writing or editing articles, preferably in Wikipedia
- Knowledge of Wikipedia standards, ability to maintain Wikipedian in good standing status
- Some familiarity with special collections libraries and colonial and/or early modern history (or allied disciplines)
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a discipline related to the Library’s collection highly desirable.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check and education verification.