Division Kudos - January - March 2015
Craig Lefort received a 5-month grant from the CardioPulmonary Vascular Biology COBRE for his project entitled, "Integrin Activation Regulates Neutrophil Trafficking Within the Murine Lung". The project period is January 1 - May 31, 2015. Total costs $30,000.
Dr. Heffernan received a 1% score for his K08 resubmission, "Sepsis Induced Changes in iNKT-Cells and their Effect on Phagocyte Function" which will start July 1, 2015. The application's mentors are a collaboration from RI Hospital (A. Ayala) and Brown University (L. Brossay).
From Daithi Heffernan's lab:
- "Advancing technologies for the diagnosis and management of infections" Fox ED, Heffernan DS, Surgical Clinics of North America (SCNA) Dec 2014; Vol 94, Number 6; pages 1163-1174
- "The geriatric cytokine response to trauma: time to consider a new threshold"Ottinger ME, Monaghan SF, Gravenstein S, Cioffi WG, Ayala A, Heffernan DS. Surgical Infections Jan 2015
From Alfred Ayala's lab:
- Divergent invariant natural killer T-cell response to sepsis of abdominal vs. non-abdominal origin in human beings. Young, J.S., Monaghan, S.F., Chung, C.S., Cioffi, W.G., Ayala, A., Heffernan, D.S. 2015. Surg. Infect. (in press).
- Merck Research Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA: Consultant for “Sepsis-Scientific, Input & Engagement meeting”. February 10-11, 2015.
- National Institutes of Health/ National Center for Scientific Review (NIH/NCRS) -Lung Cellular, Molecular and Immunobiology (LCMI): R01/R21-study section review panel held in Baltimore, ND, February 2-3, 2015 (*Standing member of review panel through 2019)
Experimental Biology presentations from Jonathan Reichner's lab (March 28-April 1, 2015):
- "Integrin Crosstalk Regulation of Human Neutrophils Adhered to Fibronectin and β-Glucan" C.M. Johnson, A. Byrd, X. O’Brien, V. Parisi and J. Reichner. Brown Univ. and Rhode Island Hosp. (925.2)
- "Mechanoregulation of Human Neutrophil Host Defense and Survival" X.M. O’Brien, N.M. Elisseou, E.J. Flores, D.C. Patel, C.R. Morrissette, A.J. Loosley and J.S. Reichner. Rhode Island Hosp., Brown Univ.
- Experimental Biology Workshop on Graduate Education in Pathology: Developing and Training the Physician Scientist. Chaired by Jonathan Reichner, Dept. Surgery, Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University and Michael LaFlamme, Dept. Pathology, Washington University.