Visiting Medical Students Clerkship
We welcome all fourth-year medical students interested in our urology clerkship service during a four-week block from July to November. We encourage you to rotate through our division to get an idea of how well you’ll be trained here, what we have to offer and get a taste for the culture at Brown. It is also a great way for our program to get to know you as well! Most students rotate through a four-week elective.
Alpert Medical School students can view and register for electives using OASIS. Visiting US Medical Students can view electives and apply for away rotations using VSAS.
Please note that the VSAS site typically opens on May 1st. Visiting International Medical Students can email [email protected].
The months of July and August are the most popular blocks; however, these 2-months are the most common time for faculty travel. Please keep this in mind as your consider your elective dates.
If you have any difficulty arranging a rotation with our department, please contact Carol Simmons at [email protected]
Rotation Structure and Goals
Our general rotation allows for a broad exposure to the program.
The 4-week elective is broken down into a 2-week rotation at each of our institutions:
- 2 weeks at the Miriam Hospital to view robotic surgeries and work with the attendings and residents.
- 1 week at RI Hospital OR. You will spend time in the OR with the attendings and residents, but sometimes you will have 1/2 day office hours with specific attendings.
- 1 week on Pedi rotation ~ Hasbro Children's Hospital with Drs. Aguiar and Wu.
- You will also have 1 weekend on call with our Chief Resident (6p -6a) and 1 week day call per the chief resident schedule.
The goals for this rotation are:
- Exposure to a variety of urologic conditions and procedures in the form of clinic encounters, didactics and operative experience
- Mentoring and instruction from world-class, fellowship trained faculty
- Connect you with our residents, who can not only teach you the basics of urology, but also serve as guides through the difficult application and interviewing process for residency.
- If you are interested, include you in any research projects that are ongoing within the department.
There is on site housing available at the Gerry House, which is located on the RIH campus. Suites are divided into three bedrooms that share a bathroom. Housekeeping service is provided but there is no television in the room. Costs are $25 per night, $140 per week or $500 per month. Please call 401-444-2229 for more information about housing costs.