What is Alpert Medical School's federal code for FAFSA filing?
What is the application deadline for Financial Aid?
We must receive all Financial Aid application materials by April 1.
*Please note: We suggest that you complete both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Need Access Form by March 15; this will ensure that we receive your information by April 1.
What are common mistakes that students make in applying for financial aid?
Common Application mistakes include:
  • Forgetting to use Alpert Medical School's federal code.
  • Forgetting to have parent's sign tax forms.
  • Submitting required application documents late.
  • Submitting either the FAFSA or Need Access form for the wrong academic year.
Where can I find my Banner ID number?
  • Your Banner ID Number (e.g. B00123456) is located in the upper right-hand corner of the Financial Aid pages in Self-Service Banner
  • The status of your financial aid application can also be viewed on-line there.
  • If you do not remember or have lost your username or password, please contact the Brown University CAP Office to resolve your access issues by calling 401-863-4357 or by emailing CAP@brown.edu.
What materials are required to apply for Financial Aid?
If you wish to apply for federal financial aid only, you must submit the FAFSA.

If you wish to be considered for institutional and federal financial aid, you must submit:

Please refer to the Financial Aid Guide for a detailed description of the requirements.

How do I file the FAFSA?
Please complete and transmit the FAFSA electronically via the FAFSA web site.

*Please note: Due to changes in federal procedures regarding the application process for Financial Aid, please be sure to e-file your tax return at least two weeks prior to filing your FAFSA. This will help to ensure that your tax information is processed by the IRS in time to be retrieved electronically into your FAFSA, and will decrease the likelihood that you will have to resubmit the FAFSA again with updated income information.   Please select the Data Retrieval tool to retrieve IRS information into your FAFSA form.
Additionally, the federal government considers students at the graduate level and beyond to be independent from their parents with respect to financial aid. Therefore, students applying for financial aid with Alpert Medical School do not need to include their parent financial information in the FAFSA. (Those applying for institutional aid will provide parent information in the Need Access Form.) However, it is not a problem for AMS, if parent information is included, since other schools to which students apply for admission may require it.  
What happens if I've forgotten my FAFSA PIN (Personal Identification Number)?
To request that your PIN be sent to you again, or if you believe your PIN has been compromised, go to http://www.pin.ed.gov and follow the instructions there.
What is the Need Access Application?
The Need Access Application is a supplemental form used by the medical school to determine the contribution that a family (i.e., parents, students and spouse) can make toward a student's education. The Need Access form is required for each year that a student wishes to be considered for AMS loans and AMS scholarships.
Do I need to provide parental information to be considered for financial aid?
No. Students may apply for federal loans without submitting parental information. If necessary, students may borrow a combination of loans to cover the full cost of attendance each year. The loans that do not require parent information are the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and the Graduate PLUS Loan.
View Loan Types
How does the Alpert Medical School determine financial need?
Financial need is defined as the difference between the annual Cost Of Attendance (COA) and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The Expected Family Contribution is is determined by a federally-approved needs analysis system and federal methodology, and it refers to a family's ability to contribute to a student's education. The Family Contribution is an evaluation of the financial resources that a student, (and spouse, if applicable), and his or her family may have available to meet those expenses.

COA minus EFC equals need. Alpert Medical School uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Need Access Form to assess family resources and determine financial need.
Do I need to complete a financial aid application every year?
For each year that a student would like to be considered for financial aid, the student must complete the required forms. The financial aid application includes periods of enrollment from July 1 to June 30. If you are applying for external funding (Federal Loans) only, you are not required to submit an Alpert Medical School application, but still need to complete the FAFSA each year.
When will I receive my financial aid award?
If the April 1 deadline is met:
  • First-Year Students will receive award notifications by the last week in April.
  • Continuing Students will receive award notifications in early May.
What if I take time off during medical school?

If you choose to take a leave of absence, please contact your academic advisor and follow up with the Office of Financial Aid.

AMS also offers students an opportunity to work on medical degree related projects away from their medical studies in the Academic Scholars Program.  In order to receive approval for this program, you must plan to undertake work that contributes to progress toward the medical degree.

Students considering taking a leave or participating in the Academic Scholars Program must complete a time-away form as their request for time away must be approved by their academic advisor and the AMS Records and Registration Systems Manager.

When will my Student Loans be Disbursed?
Student Loan processing is managed by the Bursar’s Office, and disbursement dates vary according to class year. Please see the disbursement schedule to find out when loans will be disbursed for your class year.
How do I request my Student Loan Refund?
Students can now receive their refunds electronically! By requesting a refund via our new online Refund Request Form, and setting up the request to receive the refund in a US checking or saving account at payment.brown.edu, students will receive refunds in a quick, convenient manner. Students should receive the refund in their account 3-5 days from the date the request form is submitted.
How do I contact my Bursar Representative?
Please visit the Bursar’s Office Staff Page to see who your bursar representative is, as well as how to contact them.