- Instructor (Research) (appointment limited to one 2-year term)
- Assistant Professor (Research) (appointment for indefinitely renewable 3-year terms)
- Associate Professor (Research)
- Professor (Research)
- Teaching Scholar Track
- Associate Professor, Teaching Scholar Track
- Professor, Teaching Scholar Track
- Research Scholar Track
- Associate Professor, Research Scholar Track
- Professor, Research Scholar Track
- Clinical Instructor
- Clinical Assistant Professor
- Clinical Associate Professor
- Clinical Professor
- Clinician Educator
- Instructor, Clinician Educator
- Assistant Professor, Clinician Educator
- Associate Professor, Clinician Educator
- Professor, Clinician Educator
Important Faculty Rank and Track Notes
- ALL faculty appointments have an end date of June 30 of the appropriate year. Promotions always begin on July 1.
- "Junior level" refers to Instructor and Assistant Professor levels. "Senior level" refers to Associate or Professor level.
- In all tracks, Assistant level appointments are for 3-year terms. Associate and Professor level appointments are for 5-year terms.
- Appointment as Instructor (not Clinical or (Research)) is limited to two 2-year terms.
- Appointment at the full-time academic Assistant Professor level (not Clinical and not (Research)) is limited to three 3-year terms.
- Junior level full-time academic faculty (who are not (Research)) do not need to declare a track until the beginning of their third term at Assistant Professor level.
Adjunct faculty appointments and reappointments in DPHB must meet the following criteria. This policy was adopted in September 2016.
The Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior (DPHB) does not offer Adjunct appointments, except under special circumstances. The most common exception will be for researchers for whom a Brown adjunct academic appointment is necessary to conduct research at Brown. For example, the adjunct candidate has a grant, as a PI, administered by Brown University or an affiliated hospital. Special permission may also be granted for adjunct candidates who have an ongoing, regular, and major teaching role in one of the DPHB training programs or who perform a service that is unique and valuable to the department.
Any exceptions to this rule will be determined by the majority vote of the departmental Academic Faculty Appointments, Reappointments and Promotions Committee.