Iberia"All events are held at the Annmary Brown Memorial (21 Brown Street) at 5:30 PM and free of charge unless otherwise indicated.
The Rhode Island Medieval Circle Lectures
- Thur., 24 Sept., Jonathan Decter (Brandeis University,) "Jewish Thinking about Religion in the Medieval Mediterranean"
- Thur., 29 Oct., Charles M. Stang (Harvard Divinity School,) “Centers and Peripheries between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Silk Road”
Wed., 18 Nov., Sonja Drimmer (Umass Amherst,) "Limners and the Making of Literature in Late Medieval England"
- Thur., 18 Feb., Mary Cunningham (University of Nottingham, UK,)
"Between Earth and Heaven: Middle Byzantine Views of Mary, the Mother of God"
- Tue., 8 March, (Rhode Island Hall 108,) Nikolas Jaspert (Institute of History, Centre for the Study of European History and Culture, Heidelberg University,) "Spaces of Fear and Desire: Medieval and Modern Readings of the Mediterranean”
- Thurs., 17 March, Thomas O'Donnell (Fordham University,) "Saxons and Seduction: the Middle English History of English"
- Friday, 18 March, Judith Cohen (York University,
Canada,) presentation "Singing Convivencia - music in Christian, Jewish and Muslim communities of medieval Iberia"
- Sunday, 20 March, (11:00 AM at the Brown/RISD Hillel House, 80 Brown St.) Judith Cohen (York University, Canada,) presentation "Music in the Lives of the Crypto-Jews of Portugal"
- Thurs., 7 April, Michael Kulikowski (Penn State,) "Historical Generations: Ammianus, Sidonius and the End of Antiquity"
MEDIEVAL AND EARLY MODERN HISTORY SEMINAR (with department of History)