Graduate Program FAQ

This page covers Frequently Asked Questions for prospective students to the Music and Multimedia Composition and the Musicology and Ethnomusicology programs. Most information is the same for both programs, but where the answers differ they are noted by specifying the program at the start of the relevant portion of the text. 

What is the application deadline?

For both graduate programs the application deadline is December 15.

Where do I apply?

You can apply online at the Graduate School website.

What are the application requirements for admission to the Ph.D. program?

Applicants to the program should submit the online application, three letters of recommendation, a personal statement, writing sample and/or documentation of creative work, undergraduate transcripts, and GRE General Aptitude Test scores. The TOEFL test is required for foreign applicants, except those who hold (or will receive) a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English.

Music and Multimedia Composition

The primary criteria for admission is a portfolio of outstanding creative work. Applicants should provide links to an online portfolio of 3-4 creative works. This may include recordings, videos, scores, images, texts or documentation of installations and performances. A short description should accompany each work. Please do not submit your general website unless there are links to the 3-4 specific works for your application. A short writing sample is optional for MMC students.

Musicology and Ethnomusicology

Applicants should provide a scholarly writing sample of c. 20-25 pages. You may submit two shorter writing samples that total c. 20-25 pages, if you feel that they demonstrate more effectively your skills in scholarly analysis. For example, you may prefer to submit undergraduate seminar papers on two different topics in music and/or other humanities and social sciences disciplines. If you submit a longer thesis in its entirety, please suggest a subsection (approximately 20-25 pages) that you believe best represents its strengths.

What financial support does Brown offer its graduate students in the Music Department?

Brown offers five years of guaranteed support in the form of a full tuition scholarship, health benefits, and a cash stipend that is competitive with that offered by other top-tier programs. Summer support is funded for four years, over and above the academic-year stipend. Ph.D students in the music department hold a Fellowship in the first year of study, with no TA or proctorship obligations. During three of the remaining four years they hold either Teaching Assistantships or Proctorships. In the remaining year they hold a Dissertation Fellowship. There is some flexibility as to when to use up the final year of fellowship. Some people use it to fund dissertation research in the fourth year of study; others obtain external grants for that research and defer the fellowship for dissertation write-up time at Brown. (In other words, external funding does not replace Brown funding: students who win one year’s worth of external support still receive a full five years of funding from Brown, on top of that year of external support). Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Proctorships in music normally require up to twenty hours of work per week during the school year.

Do international graduate students receive the same type of funding as American graduate students?

Yes. International graduate students are funded in exactly the same way as American students. If you are admitted to the program, you will receive five years of funding through fellowships and teaching assistantships.

What can I do about funding if it takes me more than five years to finish?

The graduate school frequently offers sixth year funding, including the standard stipend, summer funding, tuition waiver, and health insurance. This is dependent on your progress toward the degree, the department's teaching needs and available funding. Students receiving sixth-year funding are expected to teach a course or serve as a teaching assistant during both terms of the sixth year.

In addition, the graduate school has also developed several interdisciplinary options for humanities and social science scholars to fund a sixth year of study while in residence at institutions or departments within Brown, ranging from the Cogut Center for the Humanities to the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs: see here.

The graduate school offers some financial incentives for obtaining external funding. In practice, if you receive a major external grant, equivalent to a year of funding (for example, to conduct dissertation research away from campus), then you are able to defer one year of the funding that Brown guarantees to Ph.D. students, and reserve it for a 6th year of study.

All forms of sixth-year funding apply equally to American and international students.

Do you offer a terminal MA program?

No. We admit students with the expectation that they will complete the PhD. However, it is technically possible to leave Brown after completing the MA (and in rare cases this may be the recommendation of the faculty).

Do I have to take the GREs?

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required and should be taken well in advance of the application deadline

Is there a minimum GRE score?

We do not have minimum GRE scores. GRE scores are just one element of the application package, which includes some quantitative elements (GPAs, GREs) but also a large number of important qualitative elements (letters of recommendation, creative work and/or writing sample, personal statement, etc.) We compare applicants on the basis of all the materials in the application as opposed to weighting any single element of it. We attempt to judge the possible areas of overlap between the applicant’s interests and our program, the likelihood of success in our program, and the potential for developing cutting-edge creative work and scholarship in the future.

Do I have to take the TOEFL exam if my native language is not English?

Yes. Brown University requires this exam. However, if you have a previous degree (BA or MA) from an institution where the primary language of instruction is English you do not have to take the TOEFL. At Brown, TOEFL requirements are set by the Graduate School, not the individual department, and the Graduate School administers the collection of application materials. Therefore, any questions about waivers should be addressed to the Graduate School. The Graduate School policy may be found here.

How many students do you admit?

Usually each program admits two or three students per year.

Can someone tell me in advance whether I am likely to be admitted to your program?


Can I reactivate my application from one year to the next?

No. You have to submit a new application in order to re-apply to the program.

When will I learn whether I have been admitted?

Decisions regarding admission and financial aid are made by mid-March. Applicants must make enrollment decisions by mid-April.

If I am admitted to the program can I defer my enrollment date for a year?

No. If you are offered admission to the program, you must either accept or decline the offer and its specific starting date. If you decide that you want to enroll in a later year then you must submit a new application. Acceptance to the program in one year does not guarantee acceptance in any subsequent rounds of applications.

What is your University code?

Our University code is 3094.

How many courses can I transfer in from a previous MA?

You can transfer credits equivalent to up to eight courses, but only after completing your first year of coursework at Brown.

Musicology and Ethnomusicology students

See the Graduate Handbook for details. You'll need to get the current DGS's signature on the transfer form.

Music and Multimedia Composition students

See the MMC Graduate Handbook, section 6: "Students with Prior Graduate Degrees."

What kind of teaching experience will I get at Brown?

Graduate students serve as a Teaching Assistant for a variety of undergraduate courses relevant to your professional development -- mostly courses taught by graduate faculty in their program. (You can browse our current undergraduate course offerings here.) Faculty make an effort to give graduate students meaningful teaching experience (i.e., running discussion or giving an occasional lecture rather than just grading student assignments). You should also take advantage of the resources at the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning.

Musicology and Ethnomusicology

Advanced students sometimes have the opportunity to teach a survey course or propose a course in their area of specialization. The graduate seminar "World Music in Theory and Practice" includes many practical assignments related to pedagogy (practice-teaching, syllabus design, etc.).

Music and Multimedia Composition

In addition to TA assignments in undergraduate and graduate level computer music courses, MMC graduate students have the opportunity to direct the MEME electroacoustic improvisation ensemble. Advanced students may have the opportunity to propose a course of their own design (MUSC 0210 Topics in Electronic Music & Multimedia). Graduate students may also work as Proctors in the MEME studios, assisting with concert production, studio management, promotion, and documentation.

Which faculty members will I work with?

All faculty are available to work with graduate students, and students can select any faculty that can help with their research goals. We aim to create an environment for scholarship and creative practice in which there are many avenues for guidance, feedback, and exchange. It is often the case that students work closely with several faculty members in addition to their officially designated advisor. Many of our PhD students include faculty from outside the department and outside the University on their preliminary exam committees and on their dissertation committees. Music faculty research profiles can be accessed here.

Are students admitted directly from undergraduate programs?

Yes, we do admit students directly from undergraduate programs. Speaking generally, any undergraduate major is acceptable if the applicant has a way of showing good potential in fields that are included in either graduate program. That said, most of our graduate students have spent some time outside of school following their undergraduate studies before enrolling here.

Does the Department encourage students to take courses outside the Department?

Yes. Students are encouraged to take courses throughout the University and many take advantage of courses in other departments. Students occasionally take courses at other institutions such as RISD and Harvard.

What are your current PhD students working on now?

A listing of our current students and links to their websites can be found here.

What kind of careers do your PhD students undertake after graduation?

Our graduates undertake college and university teaching as well as applied work and research outside the academy. See the Alumni page for more details on graduates of both programs.

May I arrange a visit to campus to meet with faculty and students?

Yes. You should schedule your visit for a time when classes are in session (see the University calendar). Contact the current Director of Graduate Studies for Musicology and Ethnomusicology, or the Director of Graduate Studies for Music and Multimedia Composition if you would like to propose a date to visit. To increase your chances of meeting with a particular faculty member, you should visit campus on a day when s/he is teaching a graduate seminar and/or holding office hours. However, please note that visits are not required and do not increase your chances of admission. Admitted candidates will have an opportunity to visit campus before making a decision on whether to join us at Brown.

The Music and Multimedia Composition program will host two Prospective Graduate Student Open House events in Fall 2019, one on October 18th and one on November 22nd. Prospective applicants can meet with program faculty and current students to get a more complete picture of the MMC program. We strongly encourage attendance at one of the Open Houses instead of a separate visit as we cannot guarantee the availability of MMC faculty and students at other times. Please contact the current DGS for details.

If you just want to get a feel for the campus and/or you are visiting at a time when classes are not in session, you may participate in a general campus tour without arranging appointments in our department.

Whom should I contact with questions?

Musicology and Ethnomusicology

Joshua Tucker, Director of Graduate Studies (2018-19).

Music and Multimedia Composition

Ed Osborn, Director of Graduate Studies (2018-19).

Email queries to other faculty members will be forwarded directly to the appropriate DGS.