Commencement Steps and Deadlines for May 2019
-Required for all completing students - application to Graduate in Banner, including registration to attend Commencement: now through May 1
-External honors and awards Form (for inclusion in Commencement program): now through May 1
-Dissertation submission deadline: May 1
-Regalia - required for all university ceremonies, a late fee is charged for orders placed after April 15.
- All students receiving a degree, whether attending or not attending, please fill out this Commencement Form to help us plan for the day.
Further information about the university's events can be found on Brown’s Commencement website.
All completing students should complete the (short!) exit survey to let us know any future plans and contact information:
Saturday, May 25 2019
- Graduate Student Reception 4:00 - 5:30 - details to be announced.
Sunday, May 26 2019
- Doctoral Diploma Ceremony ~ 10:30 AM - Pembroke Green
- Master's Diploma Ceremony ~ 10:30 AM - Meehan Auditorium
- The University Ceremony on the Main Green ~ 12:45 PM
Department Ceremony ~2:30 & 3:00pm (estimated)
Following the conclusion of the University Ceremony, all graduating undergraduates and their families attend departmental diploma ceremonies and receptions. Our Physics undergraduates will receive their diplomas at the Physics Department Diploma Ceremony in Barus & Holley 166. This will begin after the University Ceremony concludes, typically around 2:30 pm.
The department also holds a Graduate student ceremony to celebrate awards and achievements of the graduates, this will begin after the undergraduate ceremony (approx. 3:00 pm) - graduate student receive their diplomas at university diploma ceremonies in the morning.
- The concurrent Physics ceremonies typically last approximately 45 minutes.
- A photo of each class - undergraduate, Master's, and PhD will be taken on the Barus & Holley patio after the ceremonies and before the reception. Please line up on the patio for a departmental picture at the conclusion of the ceremony - families are invited to come take photos too!
- The Physics commencement reception for all students and their families (undergraduate and graduate) will follow directly after both ceremonies, anticipated to begin about 3:30 pm. The reception is held under the tent on the Barus & Holley Garden, the green space next to Barus & Holley on George Street.
For undergraduate questions or concerns please contact Ida Alarcon, Undergraduate Affairs.
For graduate questions, concerns, or ceremony accessibility please contact Mary Ellen Woycik, Student Affairs & Program Manager.