Master’s Funding

Financial aid for master’s students varies by program, though most students are self-supported through a combination of scholarship, loans, outside funding, and assistantship. We encourage master's applicants to maximize funding sources:

upload icon

Need-Based and Merit Scholarship Consideration

The Brown University School of Public Health considers merit and need when determining scholarships. Domestic applicants to the MPH and Master’s in Biostatistics program who wish to be considered for a need-based scholarship from the school must submit their FAFSA using the Brown University Graduate Federal School Code of E00058.

Health Equity Scholars

Health Equity Scholars

The School of Public Health offers Health Equity Scholarships to qualified graduates, and current students, of HBCUs, dedicated to addressing health disparities. In addition to tuition support, the Health Equity Scholars program provides enhanced mentorship and leadership training.

magnifying glass with money symbol in glass

Apply for External Funding

We encourage you to simultaneously apply for outside scholarships and fellowships. ASPPH offers a comprehensive list of scholarship/fellowship opportunities.

one hand handing money to another

Apply for Loans

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are encouraged to apply for federal student loans using the FAFSA; international students should consider private loans.

The Brown University graduate Federal School Code is E00058. Do not include the undergraduate Federal School Code of 003401.

Please note our certificate program is not eligible for federal student loans, but can be financed with private loans.

a paper with positive and negative lists

Make an Informed Decision

Our graduates benefit from strong placement rates (99% within 6 months) and diverse career outcomes.

Be sure to factor in Providence's cost of living and the School's Walk Score (88) when comparing schools.

Use this worksheet (PDF) to estimate your total cost of attendance.


Pursue Opportunities for Current Students

After you enroll at Brown, you are eligible to apply for additional funding opportunities, including:

Conference travel funding from the Graduate School for students presenting at academic conferences.

Graduate Student Council stipends for conference and dissertation/field work related travel expenses.

Paid research or teaching assistantships, typically reserved for second-semester or second-year students.

International Travel Funds

Individual degree programs may offer thesis or research funding support, such as the MPH program's $300 Thesis Grant Award.

Brown University Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training Program

Special Awards: Nora Kahn Piore Award for Health Services Scholars and Loan Repayment Assistance for Alumni.