The Brown University School of Public Health prepares students for a variety of careers in the field of public health. Graduates go on to careers at health agencies, academic and research institutions, and nonprofit organizations. They also pursue careers in government, education, and in consulting firms, pharmaceutical, and other for-profit companies. The resources below will help you on your career path, whether you're looking for a summer internship, advice on the job search, networking tools, or academic career opportunities.
Career Services for Brown Students & Alumni
- BRUnet: Brown’s Career Network
- BrownConnect: Find internship and research opportunities, search for funding, and connect with alumni.
- Handshake: Handshake is the new and improved way to engage with CareerLAB and apply for jobs and internships. Read more about Handshake here.
- Health Careers Advising
- Social Enterprise Greenhouse Opportunities Board
- iProv Summer Fellowship provides undergraduate students with a stipend to work full-time in internships with greater Providence area nonprofits
- SPH LinkedIn group: Job, internship, and conference opportunities are posted on this closed group for current students and alumni.
- Careers in the Common Good
- Pathways to Science Browse postdoc and early career opportunities including postdoctoral fellowships, grants, travel awards, mentoring opportunities, and more.
- RI Community Jobs
- ASPPH Fellowships & Internships opportunities for current masters and doctoral students and recent graduates to round out academic training and gain hands-on public health experience while continuing to develop professional skills and expertise in public health.
- STEM Careers
- Free the PhD Comprehensive career transition program for STEM PhDs to find their path outside academia
- Versatile PhD Online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs.
- Going Global: Leading online provider of country-specific employment and career information.
- Bridge.Jobs: Internship connection service for employers and students in Rhode Island.
- US Job Search for International Students
- Videocasts from NIH Academic lectures plus videos on resume writing, negotiation skills, grant writing, professional presentations, and many other topics.
Other Job & Internship Search Tools
- NIH Jobs Site
- APHA CareerMart
- Association Career HQ
- Nonprofit Career Match
- Affordablecollegesonline.org - Good list of public health internship and volunteer opportunities
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: Career Development Center
- American Statistical Association JobWeb
- FindAPostDoc.com dedicated to listing jobs for new and recently qualified PhDs.
- OITE Careers Blog The NIH Office of Intramural Training and Education is dedicated to helping NIH trainees advance in their careers.
All of the following organizations provide online job listings. Searching these listings can be a helpful way of learning about the types of jobs that are available, what skills and experience they require, and how best to market yourself.
|ABT Associates||Monitor 360|
|Academy for Educational Development||National Institutes of Health|
|Addiction and Treatment Centers||Pacific Institute for Research &Evaluation|
|American Heart Association||Partners in Health|
|American Institutes for Research||Peace Corp|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield||People Designs|
|Center for Science in the Public Interest||Population Services International|
|Centers for Disease Control||Rand|
|Fenway Health||RI Dept of Health, other State Depts of Health|
|FHI: Family Health International||RTI International|
|Fulcrum Research Group||Schools of Public Health|
|Health Resources in Action||SRA International|
|Hospitals||The Edna McConnell Clark Fdn|
|Humana||The Henry J. Kaiser Family Fdn|
|ICF International||The Rhode Island Foundation|
|John Snow Inc.||Unicef|
|Kaiser Family Foundation||United Health Group|
|Mathematica Policy Research||US Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Medical Schools||US Dept of Health and Human Services|