Commencement 2022 was held over Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2022. Commencement Day was Sunday May 29th. A full schedule for the weekend along with highlights can be found below and at the University's Commencement website. Follow Commencement Weekend with #Brown2022!
Please note that the School of Public Health follows all Brown University health and safety protocols to ensure the safety of our in-person events.
SPH Commencement Highlights
Friday, May 27, 2022 | 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Alumni, students, faculty, and staff were invited to kick off Commencement Weekend festivities with the School of Public Health! The 2022 SPH student and alumni award recipients were honored during a brief ceremony, followed by a celebratory reception!
Rochambeau House | 84 Prospect Street
Saturday, May 28
Public Health Commencement Forums
Leadership in a Crisis: Beyond and Through the Pandemic
- Nicole Alexander-Scott M.D., MPH’11, former director of the RI Department of Health; senior executive consultant, Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
- Megan Ranney M.D., MPH’10, professor of emergency medicine and academic dean of the Brown University School of Public Health
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. | Salomon Center for Teaching | 79 Waterman Street | Room 001
- Moderator Stefanie Friedhoff, associate professor of the practice of health services, policy, and practice in the Brown University School of Public Health
- John N. Nkengasong MSc, Ph.D., Director of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
- Zeynep Tüfekçi Ph.D., Associate Professor, UNC School of Information and Library Science (SILS), Principal Researcher at Carolina’s Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life (CITAP)
In the US and worldwide, the COVID-19 pandemic has brought the vast inequity of our health systems into sharp focus. It has highlighted that health equity is still not a reality as COVID-19 has unequally affected many racial and ethnic minority groups, putting them at risk of getting sick and dying. But what have we learned? Join our distinguished guests to discuss what the pandemic has exposed and what it has to teach us about how to build a healthier, more equitable future.
12:30-1:30 p.m. | MacMillan Hall | 167 Thayer Street | Room 117
Sunday, May 29 | estimated start 2:45 or 3 p.m. (following the University Ceremony)
School of Public Health Ceremony
The Public Health Ceremony was held under the tent on the Ruth J. Simmons Quadrangle (Lower Green), behind Sayles Hall.