Areas of Research Expertise
Research Centers in HSPP
There are three Research Centers that are closely associated with the HSPP Department: the Center for Gerontology & Healthcare Research (CGHCR, Established in 1986) and the Center for Evidence Synthesis in Health and The Center for Long-term Care Quality and Innovation. Centers in the School of Public Health are intentionally designed to facilitate collaboration with other Centers.
There are 10 broad areas of faculty expertise in HSPP. These areas are presented here, in brief, narrative form, and a number of them have substantial overlap.
- Medicare and Medicaid policy research
- End of life and palliative care research
- Nursing home care quality
- Evidence synthesis and meta-analysis
- Pharmaceutical health services research
- Physician-patient communication, shared decision-making, and stakeholder engagement
- Conditional economic incentives and behavioral economics
Health services research has been defined as “the multidisciplinary field of scientific investigation that studies how social factors, financing systems, organizational structures and processes, health technologies, and personal behaviors affect access to health care, the quality and cost of health care, and ultimately our health and well-being. Its research domains are individuals, families, organizations, institutions, communities, and populations” (Association for Health Services Research).
Faculty in the Department of Health Services, Policy, and Practice (HSPP) engage in a broad range of health services research. Total research funding for departmental faculty in 2013, including both the Center for Gerontology and Healthcare Research and the Center for Evidence Synthesis in Health, was approximately $8M. Department investigators have collaborations with a broad range of groups including other academic departments at Brown University, Rhode Island state government agencies, the Veterans Administration Medical Center and other Brown affiliated hospitals.
- Brown University Departments and Teaching Hospitals
- RI State Agencies
- Providence Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Center