Applications due April 5, 2021, for summer 2021 retreat (pending status of global health pandemic).
The Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America (CSREA) will host a writing retreat for faculty in Summer 2021.
The Summer Faculty Writing Retreat is a dedicated collective community writing environment in support of scholarly productivity and collegial accountability for Brown University faculty working in areas related to the study of race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity. Participants may use the writing retreat time to work on articles, chapters, books, organizing field notes, proposals, course prep, or other writing-related projects.
There will be THREE unique opportunities to participate in the Summer Writing Retreat:
Option 1: Residential, overnight at a Rhode Island-based location, to be decided
4-6 overnight participants
Option 2: Daily commute to a Rhode Island-based location, to be decided
4-6 daily participants
Option 3: On campus at CSREA, daytime
Location: CSREA, 96 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island
- For off-site option: snacks will be provided and participants will be asked to submit receipts for reimbursement for any additional meals. Any requests for meal reimbursement must adhere to university spending guidelines of a maximum of $20 for breakfast, $25 for lunch, and $50 for dinner, inclusive of tax and tip.
- For on-site option at 96 Waterman Street: participants will be provided with snacks and a catered lunch.
Participants will be responsible for:
- Identifying clear goals of what is to be accomplished during the retreat (e.g., use the time to draft or revise an article/book chapter, grant/fellowship applications, proposals, organize field notes, etc.).
- Supplying their laptops and writing materials.
- Transportation to and from the retreat venue.
- Funding any special extra-curricular activities/excursions.
NOTE: The retreats are for selected participants only. We will not be able to accommodate families, spouses, partners, pets, etc.
Any Brown University faculty working on a writing project related to the study of race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the U.S. and work that connects the U.S. to related transnational contexts.
Applicants must complete this application form to be fully considered. Applications will be reviewed by the CSREA Faculty Advisory Board (FAB). Other relevant faculty within or external to Brown may be consulted at the discretion of the FAB.
Application deadline is Monday, April 5, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. EDT. Award notifications will go out in May 2021.
Questions? Please contact CSREA Program Coordinator, Saraya McPherson.