Graduate Student in Slavic Studies
My decision to embark upon the academic path was inspired by the desire to investigate essential cultural, literary, religious and art relationships, as well as the wish to share my native culture. Working with archival documents, I try to introduce new material into scholarly use. For that very reason, the process of my studies and research, and the questions I face often remind me of detective investigations.
- Ph.D. in Slavic Studies, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, present
- M.A. in Slavic Studies, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, 2017 (expected)
- M.A. in Russian Literature, Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2015 (with distinction)
- B.A. in Russian Language and Literature, Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2013 (with distinction)
- Russian literature of the 18th century
- Contemporary Russian literature
- Czech literature of the 18th – early 19th centuries
- Russian-British literary relations
- Russian-Jewish Poetry
- Literary canon
- Genre formations and transformations (travelogue, prose poem, etc.)
Russian, English, Czech, Spanish
“Obrazovanije uma i chuvstva”: Literaturnaja reputacija N. M. Karamzina i formirovanije russkogo literaturnogo kanona v pervoj polovine 19 veka // Literaturnaja kultura Rossii 18 veka. # 7. Saint Petersburg, 2017.
V. P. Petrov – perevodchik “Poteryannogo raja” J. Miltona // Petra angularis: professoru P. E. Bukharkinu ko dnu shestidesyatiletija i k tridcatiletiju ego universitetskogo seminara. SPb., 2015. P. 76-94.
O kategorii sobytija v rasskaze I. A. Bunina “Zarya vsu noch”. Opyt issledovanija // Molodoj Peterburg. SPb., 2011. P. 280-297.
“Poteriannyj raj” J. Miltona: Predislovija k pervym perevodam poemy // Klassicheskaya traditsija i neklassicheskaya literatura v istorii russkoj kultury. Wiesbaden: Harrasowitz Verlag, 2017.
Knyaz’ Alexander Dolgorukov – Poet odnogo goda // Pechat’ i Slovo Sankt-Peterburga: Peterburgskije Chtenija. Saint Petersburg, 2017. (Co-authored with Maxim Meltsin).
- Joukowsky Summer Research Award, Brown University, 2017.
- International Research Travel Grant, Brown University, 2017.
- Conference Travel Grant, Brown University, 2017.
- Alexander Panchenko Scholarship in Russian literature studies, 2013-2014.
- Dmitriy Likhachov prize in creative writing, St. Petersburg, 2009.
- World St. Peterburgians’ Club award “Prometheus Star” in literary criticism, St. Petersburg, 2008.
Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures
Czech Revivalists and Russian Archaists: Expressing National Identity through language debates. 17th Annual Czech Studies Workshop, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, April 22, 2017.
Vasily Petrov and Arkady Steinberg: Reflecting on and inspired by John Milton's Paradise Lost. AATSEEL Convention, San Francisco, February 3, 2017.
Russian Archaists and Czech Revivalists: Slavic World in language debates. St. Petersburg State University, Russian 18th century seminar, St. Petersburg, December 22, 2016.
Prefaces to the First Russian Translations of John Milton’s Paradise Lost: Reception and Response. Brown University, Slavic Studies Colloquium, October 18, 2016.
Knyaz’ Alexander Dolgorukov – Poet odnogo goda. 18th International Conference Pechat’ I Slovo Sankt-Peterburga: Peterburgskije Chtenija in North-West Institute of Printing Arts, April 16, 2016. Co-authored with Maxim Meltsin.
Pervyje russkie perevody poemy J. Miltona “Poteryannyj raj.”
18th International Converence of students-philologists in St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, April 7, 2015.
Stanovlenie Karamzina kak klassika: Literaturnaja reputacija pisatelya v pervoj polovine XIX veka. 18th International Conference of students-philologists in St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, April 10, 2015.
P. I. Makarov’s “Pis’ma iz Londona.” Study Group on 18th century Russia, The Pushkin House, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, March 28, 2013.
- Advanced Russian (RUSS0500), Fall Semester 2016. Brown University.
Advanced Russian (RUSS0600), Spring Semester 2017. Brown University.
- AATSEEL Graduate Student Committee member, 2017.
Totalny Diktant - Member of a Jury, Russian orthography and punctuation checker (St. Petersburg, 2015).
Russian Booker Prize – Member of a Student Jury of the Russian Booker Prize as a winner of the Student Booker Competition for a best essay dedicated to the modern Russian novel (Moscow, 2014). The essay – Lichno o kollektivnom. O romane Xenii Bukshi «Zavod “Svoboda”».
- Dictionary of Mikhail Lomonosov’s language – Research assistant studying Lomonosov’s Rhethoric writings (St. Petersburg, Institute of Philological Resources, Philological Faculty, St. Petersburg State University, 2012-2013).
Ruscorpora.ru – Research assistant, search, proofreading and html-markup of 19th century Russian texts for the National Corpus of Russian language (St. Petersburg, Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Science, 2012-2014).
Antology-xviii.spb.ru – Research assistant, search, proofreading and html-markup of 18th century Russian texts for the Information Retrieval System "Russian literature of the 18th century" (St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg State University, 2012-2014).
Related Work Experience
- Technical Assistant Editor, Czech Language News (International Association of Teachers of Czech IATC-NAATC), 2017.
Tutor of Russian literature, language and art for gifted children in Palace of Youth Creativity (St. Petersburg, Anichkov Palace, 2012-2015).
Acting in Alexander Sokurov’s movie “Reading Book of Blockade” (St. Petersburg, 2009).