Social Demography; Gender, Family, and Work; Child Care; Social exclusion; Public Policy; Spatial Analysis; Social Sustainability; Development; South Asia, China
Ieva's research explores the social, economic and political conditions that determine childcare arrangements and practices in the Global South. Specifically, she is interested in how childcare is organized in cities and the factors that determine the kinds of childcare arrangements families choose across various types of low-income urban settlements. In her dissertation project, Ieva explores variations in childcare provided through state, private and family institutions in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Affiliations at Brown:
- Population Studies and Training Center Trainee (PSTC)
- Graduate Program in Development Trainee (Watson Institute)
- Center for Contemporary South Asia Fellow
- Spatial Structures in the Social Sciences (S4) Fellow
- Das, M. B, Mehta, S. K, Zumbyte, I., Sasmal, S., and S. Goyal. 2019. Does Culture Matter or Firm ? Demand for Female Labor in Three Indian Cities. Policy Research working paper 8736. World Bank, Washington. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/950991549997013259/Does-Culture-Matter-or-Firm-Demand-for-Female-Labor-in-Three-Indian-Cities
- Zumbyte, I., Short, E. S., and N. Luke. 2018. “Unpaid Work and Women’s Happiness: The Relevance of Housework in Contemporary China.“ Pp. 233-246 in International Handbook of Gender and Demographic Processes, 233-246, edited by J. Brunson and N. E. Riley. Dordrecht: Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-024-1290-1_16
- Orlando, M. B., Janik, V. L., Vaidya, P., Angelou, N., Zumbyte, I., and N. Adams. 2018. Getting to Gender Equality in Energy Infrastructure: Lessons from Electricity Generation, Transmission, and Distribution Projects. Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP) Technical Report 012/18. Washington, DC: World Bank. http://hdl.handle.net/10986/29259
- Das, M. B., and I. Zumbyte. 2017. The Motherhood Penalty and Female Employment in Urban India. Policy Research working paper 8004. World Bank, Washington, D.C.http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/417411489495483028/The-motherhood-penalty-and-female-employment-in-urban-India
- Das, M. B., Kapoor-Mehta, S., Tas, E. O., and I. Zumbyte. 2015. Scaling the Heights: Social Inclusion and Sustainable Development in Himachal Pradesh. Washington, DC: World Bank. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/21316
- Alden Speare, Jr. Award for superior achievement in the Master of Arts thesis.