Summer Session Conduct and Policies

Enrich Your Undergraduate Experience

Academic Policies

Brown summer courses are official University courses that carry full academic course credit. Each course is worth 4 semester credit hours or 6 quarter credit hours. The credit transfer of Brown University summer coursework for visiting students depends on the approval of the student's home institution.

Dropping or adding a course, or changing your grade option

If you wish to add, drop or change your grade option in a course, you may do so by stopping by our office to pick up the appropriate form, or by emailing your request to the Director of Summer Session. Forms may be submitted in person to our office at 225 Dyer St. Students adding a course between June 22 and June 24 must have the instructor sign their Add form or ask the instructor to send the Director of Summer Session a confirming email.

Please be aware of the following deadlines:
Monday, June 22: Summer Session begins 
Wednesday, June 24: Last day to change courses (All students MUST be in their registered courses by Thursday, June 25)
Tuesday, July 7: Last day to change grade options
Tuesday, August 4: Last day to drop a course
Friday, August 7: Summer Session ends

Course Performance Reports

Any undergraduate student regularly enrolled in a course, no matter whether for A,B,C/No Credit or for Satisfactory/No Credit, may request from the instructor a more detailed written evaluation of his or her work by way of a Course Performance Report (Note: This form is online to Undergraduate students via Advising SideKick (ASK) module delivered by the Office of the Dean of the College). The instructor may decline to submit such a form if it is believed he or she has inadequate information to do so. As a general rule, therefore, the request for the Course Performance Report should be made of the instructor with advance notice (Refer to Academic Calendar for relevant deadlines). Particular consideration should be given to requests from students for whom the course is part of their concentration program. Copies of Course Performance Reports are made available to: (1) the student, (2) the dean's office, and (3) the student's concentration advisor. While not part of the official record, Course Performance Reports may be sent out from the University at the student's request as part of an official transcript request as long as the student provides such copies to the Office of the Registrar when making the initial transcript request.

Visiting Undergraduates and Pre-Baccalaureate students may request letters of recommendation from their instructors, in lieu of Course Performance Reports, with the stipulations noted above.

Work Load

Students may take a maximum of two courses in any one summer session, as this – two courses over 7 weeks – constitutes the equivalent to enrollment in four courses during a typical 15 week semester.


Students requesting an incomplete in a course must have the instructor sign an incomplete form by the last day of classes. This form must then be filed with the Registrar's Office. All incomplete course work must be finished by the start of the fall semester.

Auditing and Vagabonding

Auditing is not permitted in summer courses. Students officially enrolled in one summer course may vagabond another course with the permission of the instructor. A vagabond is a student enrolled at Brown who, with the permission of the instructor involved, visits a given course occasionally or regularly without payment of fee. It is understood that such a student shall be entitled to participation in classes and activities, including discussions, conferences, and papers, only at the pleasure of the instructor.

Note to Brown Undergraduates

Summer courses are equivalent to courses offered at Brown during the fall and spring semesters; they are intensive, meeting a minimum of seven hours per week; and carry full credit for undergraduates enrolled at Brown. Up to four of these courses may count toward the baccalaureate degree. As a number of additional special policies apply to the Summer Session, Brown Undergraduates are advised to read carefully the Guidelines and Regulations Concerning Summer Study to understand how summer study can, and cannot, contribute towards their degree requirements, and consult with a Dean of the College if they have any questions.

Note to Brown Graduate Students

Brown Graduate students wishing to enroll in an undergraduate language course to fulfill competence requirements must contact the University Registrar's Office to enroll.

Financial Policies

Payment Information

Students will receive Account Activity Notifications beginning May 27 and will only receive notifications if changes have been made to their enrollments. The notification will include a link to E-Bill, the University’s electronic billing system, and will be sent to the student’s official Brown email address. It is important to note that formal bills will not be sent to students. Students will be responsible for viewing and paying their balances on our E-Bill website.

Please note: We reserve the right to cancel classes or programs due to low enrollment. When we use information from your check to make an electronic funds transfer, funds may be withdrawn from your account as soon as the same day we receive your payment and you will not receive your check back from your financial institution. For questions, please contact the Cashier's Office at 401-863-1280 or email [email protected]

Academic Records Fee

Pre-Baccalaureate and Visiting Undergraduate students will be charged a $10 Academic Records Fee. This fee is collected to cover the cost of transcript requests by students. Students may request an unlimited amount of transcripts for no additional fee. More information can be found at the Registrar Office Website here: Registrar - Transcripts

International Wire Transfers

Brown University has partnered with Flywire to offer a streamlined and cost saving way to make international tuition payments.  With this partnership, students and families are offered favorable foreign exchange rates, the ability to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and savings compared to traditional banks.  In addition, you will be able to track your payment via Flywire's dashboard and you will be notified via email (and/or text) when your payment is received by Brown University.

Visit the Flywire website to make an international student account payment.

Summer Session Course Refunds

Students who withdraw prior 6/24 will receive a 100% refund. Students who withdraw between 6/25 and 6/28 will receive an 80% refund. Students who withdraw between 6/29 and 7/3 will receive a 50% refund. Students who withdraw after 7/4 will not be eligible for any refund.

All program related costs not billed by Brown University are non-refundable. (i.e. travel, books etc.)

Summer Session Room & Board Refunds

Students who drop housing or meal plans during the first week of the session (June 21 - June 26) will receive a standard refund of $1,100 for a room, and $890 for meals. No refunds for housing or meals will be given after June 27.

Financial Aid for Brown Undergraduates

Brown undergraduates receiving University aid during the fall and spring semesters may qualify for a summer grant. The amount of the grant will depend on the amount of University Scholarship you receive during the academic year and the number of summer courses you are taking. In addition, students can apply for loan funds to supplement their summer grant in meeting the cost of course fees and other living expenses. If you did not receive a University Scholarship, you cannot receive a Summer Grant. The Office of Financial Aid does not automatically award loans, since borrowing loans over the summer may impact the student's borrowing capability for the upcoming academic year. Students who wish to apply for loans must complete a Summer Loan Application which will be available for download on the Office of Financial Aid web site in May. For more information, visit the Brown University Financial Aid FAQ

Academic & Student Conduct Codes

The Principles of the Brown University Community form the foundation for student conduct expectations at the University. They emphasize individual integrity, respect for others, respect for University resources, and respect for the values of teaching, learning, and scholarship. Commitment to these principles fosters an environment in which all students may enjoy the rights and privileges that accompany membership in our community.

The On-Site Director and/or the Program Director reserve the right to dismiss a student and require that they leave immediately if in their judgment the student behaves in a manner which endangers him/herself, others on the program or the program’s continued operations. They may dismiss for academic or non-academic reasons. Illegal drug use is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Brown undergraduate and visiting undergraduate students are expected to adhere to these principles at all times including the summer session. The residence halls are staffed by Resident Advisors during the summer session. RA's are available to assist students with academic, social and personal concerns. RA's are also available to assist students with lock-outs during the summer session. For complete information about student rights and responsibilities, please visit Academic & Student Conduct Codes.

Housing Policies

Room Condition Reports

Students are responsible for the condition of their room. Upon move in if there is something damaged, please report it to your Resident Assistant within 24 hours. Reporting any pre-existing damage in the residence hall room and/or common area is the only way to avoid being held financially accountable for damage found at the end of occupancy.

Room Key

Brown University issues one room key to each resident assigned a room in a Brown residence hall during summer session. Students are expected to be in possession of their room key whenever they leave the room. If you are locked out of your room on Monday-Friday between the hours of 8am and 4pm, please sign out a spare key at the Office of Residential Life. In the evening and on weekends contact the Resident Advisor on Duty. The Lockout fee is $25-$40 per instance, depending on frequency.Report lost or stolen keys to the Office of Residential Life during business hours (Mon-Fri 8am-4pm). Contact the Resident Advisor on Duty after business hours. If you are not able to reach the Resident Advisor on Duty after business hours, contact the Department of Public Safety at 863-3322 for assistance. A fee of $125 - $460 per key will be charged to your bill for each lost or stolen key. Every effort will be made to change locks within 24 hours of a report that a room key is missing.

Key Return 

Keys are due immediately upon checking out of your room. This is necessary both for reasons of security and to allow us to make the room available for the next resident. You are responsible for depositing your room key to in the key slot at the Office of Residential Life (42 Charlesfield, Grad E). A key(s) not returned necessitates a lock change and a fee of $125 - $460 will be charged to your bill. No waivers are given for lost keys/lock changes.