Advanced Standing

Students who have completed 13 years of schooling and who have completed their external national examinations for college-level work with exceptional results may be eligible for some advanced standing or transfer credit at Brown once they become sophomores. International certifications most commonly earned by our students are the International Baccalaureate diploma or A-levels. Other national "13th-year" certification programs, however, may be considered on a case-by-case basis. It should be noted that neither course credit nor enrollment credit is granted for AS or O-level exams.

Applying for Advanced Standing

A student who wishes to apply for advanced standing in order to graduate in fewer than eight semesters must present official credentials for review by the appropriate academic dean and departments. Whether or not a student formally receives transfer credit for the results of national examinations, the student may use approved results to satisfy prerequisites for more advanced courses at Brown, where applicable. Formal review of credentials for advanced standing is not offered until a student has been admitted and has matriculated.