International Students

布朗欢迎你!  Bienvenu!  Wilkommen!  Ahlan  weesahlan!  Namaste! Καλώς ωρίσατε!

The Office of College Admission congratulates you on your acceptance to Brown University! Brown is an international community of students, undergraduate and graduate, and faculty from over one hundred countries. You are one of 433 students admitted from a pool of over 7,100 international applicants to the Class of 2023. You are about to embark on a marvelous journey, one which will not only bring you to Providence, but also take you across the ages to places beyond your imagination and your dreams.We look forward to helping you in this an exciting adventure.

This letter provides instructions on the formalities required for entering the United States as an international student. If you do not hold a U.S. passport or a green card, you must obtain a student visa. We recommend that you attend to this immediately if you intend to matriculate. In order to do so, please take the following steps.

  1. Please commit to Brown online through the Brown Applicant Portal (
  2. Please prepare the information detailed below, under REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. We are required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to review passport and financial documentation so that we may issue you the I-20 form, which is the form you will need to apply for a student visa. 
  3. Please send the documents in one of the following ways: In the Brown Applicant Portal, choose Passport/Financial Info for Visas through the drop-down menu and securely upload the required documents. You may also scan these, but we recommend the portal upload since it is more secure. Please retain the original copies, as you will be required to present these to the consular officials when applying for your F-1 visa. If you prefer, you may send these materials to Box 1876, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912. If you send this information by courier, the physical address is 198 Dyer Street, Providence, RI 02903, ATTN: Panetha Ott. We will return any originals to you along with the I-20 form and instructions for the next steps.


  • Please provide a copy of the picture page of your passport. If you have more than one passport, please send the copy of the one which you will be using to enter the United States since the information on the I-20 must match the information on the passport.
  • Please send us the I-20 Request Form, signed and stamped by a financial institution.


  • If you prefer, you may provide a bank letter or statement indicating availability of funds for the first year.
    • You must use the specific dollar amounts; at a minimum please use those indicated below.
    • You may use actual U.S. dollar amounts indicated below, or equivalents in another currency. Please avoid vague descriptors such as “sufficient funds” or “enough funding,” lest consular officials reject your application.
    • If your funding comes from more than one source, you must furnish a complete listing of available funds on which you will draw to meet your first year of college expenses from private and/or public sources, with the required stamps and signatures. These funds may include family, government, bank, financial aid award, outside scholarships, etc., supported by appropriate documentation such as letter of credit, bank statement, or award letter. If you are receiving financial aid from Brown, please include a copy of the financial aid award letter (we will sign it and stamp it). The Office of College Admission does not have copies of these!   

We reserve the right to request original hard copies for better clarity or verification.You may send the form along with the information described below to Box 1876, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912. If you send this information by courier, the physical address is 198 Dyer Street, Providence, RI 02903, ATTN: Panetha Ott. 

For the academic year 2019-2020, the total budget for tuition and fees ($58,504), room and board ($15,332), and estimated personal expenses, including books, supplies and health insurance but excluding travel ($7,600), is $81,436.  The I-20 Request Form must reflect that amount in exact U.S. dollar figures. Once you have returned the completed form and accompanying documentation, along with stamps, seals, and signatures, we will send you an I-20 form along with instructions so that you may obtain a visa.

  • If you are entering the United States with a Canadian passport, you must present an I-20 at the border when you enter the United States, but you will not need an F-1 (student) visa.  If you are Canadian, please submit the documentation as outlined above.
  •  If you are currently studying in the U.S. with F-1 status and plan to continue your studies at Brown as an F-1 student, please complete the F-1 Transfer Eligibility Verification Form and send it to us along with the required financial documents described above. This form is included in your packet, and is available on line. Your current institution must release you to Brown in SEVIS before we may issue you an I-20.
  • If you are a sponsored student, such as a Thai Scholar, and are required to attend Brown University with J-status, please DO NOT use the F-1 Transfer Eligibility Verification Form and DO NOT request a transfer release in SEVIS.  Instead, please notify us so that we may send you the proper forms.

Once we have reviewed your information and processed your I-20, we will send you the I-20 along with more instructions on paying government fees and on preparing for the visit to your local embassy or consulate.

We are here to offer suggestions and assistance.  If you have any questions about Brown, our students are eager to hear from you. You may contact our IMP (International Mentoring Program) coordinators Wendy Hyunjo Koh ’20 (South Korea), Anton Tekhneriadov ’20 (Belarus and Russia), Kimber Brain ’21 (Namibia), or Trish Razunguzwa ’21 (Zimbabwe) by e-mail at If you have questions about these instructions or other matters, please contact me at any time by phone at 401.863.7925, by facsimile at 401.863. 9300, or by email at Students on financial aid who may have difficulty arranging travel should contact me at

Because of anticipated delays in the issuance of student visas, we recommend that you present your documents to immigration authorities as soon as possible. Please note that in accordance with visa regulations, students in initial student status may not enter the United States more than 30 days before their program begin date. Please plan to arrive on campus on Tuesday 27 August or Wednesday 28 August on which dates Brown can offer you housing accommodations. International orientation begins on Wednesday 28 August. For more information, see   We will send more detailed information and instructions from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services with your I-20 form.

We look forward to welcoming you to Brown University in the fall!

More Information: