Funding Options

The majority of funding for undergraduate student organizations comes from the undergraduate Student Activities Fee, which is distributed by the Undergraduate Finance Board (UFB); however, other sources of funding exist.

The process of crediting your financial account varies depending on the source. Please look for more information under each funding opportunity and under Deposits and Donations on the Financial Management page.

  • GRADUATE STUDENT COUNCIL - has limited funds to co-sponsor events or activities that are of interest to the Brown University Graduate Student Body. The maximum funding that may be requested from the GSC for any one event or activity shall be $400 or half of the total budget for the event or activity, whichever amount is less. Funding requests shall be submitted to the GSC Treasurer at least 1 week prior to a GSC meeting in order to be considered at the next meeting.
  • Departmental Funding-Before you submit a funding request to a department, you should meet with SAO staff to review your request and overall event or activity planning. Offices may inquire with the SAO about your event prior to granting funds.
    Money from University departments requires an internal transfer from that department to the SAO. Please have the department call the SAO as soon as possible - not only for your account number but for the correct sub code to access our set of accounts. 
  • GRANTS FOR SERVICE GROUPS-The Swearer Center for Public Service maintains a grants page on their web site. External organizations such as Youth Service America (YSA) also have many resources.