New Student Health Requirements

Welcome to Brown University!

Health and Wellness is committed to holistically engaging students in collaborative and compassionate care to support their self discovery, intellectual growth, and lifelong wellbeing. Each of the five Health and Wellness departments can partner with you to create and explore your pathways to thriving. 

Health Services Eligibility for Use

Every student is charged a Health Fee each semester which allows them to utilize the services of Health and Wellness which includes BWell Health Promotion, Counseling & Psychological Services, EMS, Health Services and Student Accessibility Services. This is a separate charge from the student health insurance that may be waived.

Secure Communication

Select departments within Health and Wellness use secure messaging as a tool for communicating with you about personal health information (PHI), as it is more secure than email. This communication tool is not to be used in urgent situations.

When we send you a message, you will receive an email to your Brown gmail account from [email protected] with the subject line "You have a health related message from Brown Health Services". The secure message becomes a permanent part of your medical record.  Please review these messages and do not block them in your spam folder. 

Students can access secure messaging through the Brown Patient Portal.

For Urgent Needs 24/7

  • Emergency Medical Services (EMS) - call 401-863-4111
  • Medical Issues - call 401-863-1330 to speak with a nurse
  • Counseling Needs - call 401-863-3476 to speak with a therapist
  • Confidential Sexual Assault Help Line - call 401-863-6000

Health Requirements

Contact Information

For general questions, email [email protected] or call the nursing staff at 401-863-1330.

Nursing Advice

Once you arrive on campus, medical advice is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please call 401-863-1330 anytime for questions or advice on what to do when you are feeling ill or have a health related question. Please visit our homepage for more information on all of our services.

What to bring to campus

  • A copy of your insurance card and a copy of your prescription plan card (if applicable)
  • Prescription medications (with written prescription from your physician if possible)
  •  Over the counter medications: Tylenol, Advil, cold medications, vitamins, sunblock (Our pharmacy stocks many of these items, often at lower cost than the area stores; we can also bill the charges to your student account.)
  • Thermometer
  • If you wear contacts, bring eyeglasses in your current prescription as a backup.
  • Allergy Serum: Our nursing staff is available to administer injections. Please review our allergy injections guidelines.
  • If you use any injectable medications, prevent injuries to others by bringing a sharps container.  You can also get a FREE bio-hazard container at Health Services. Your full container can be brought to Health Services for disposal and exchange.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I cannot meet the July 1st deadline?

To ensure that your medical record is ready when you arrive on campus, we request that you make every effort to submit and upload forms by July 1st. If you cannot complete the forms by this date, please complete them as soon as possible. We also cannot clear you for participation in sports until your forms are received.

Do I need to notify Health Services that my forms will be late?

It is not necessary to notify us that your forms will be late, unless you expect it to be after 7/31/21.
We request that you submit forms after this date only in extreme circumstances. We want to ensure that your medical record is complete when you arrive on campus. If you cannot comply by 7/31/21, please notify [email protected]. Please note that students who do not submit the required forms will be charged a non-compliance fee of $100 and are subject to disciplinary action by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards or the Graduate School.

Where do I send the health forms?

To return forms, the student must login at Brown Health Services Patient Portal and upload the forms.

If you are unable to upload, fax the records to 401-863-3321 or mail to:
Brown University
Health Services
Box 1928
Providence, RI 02912

I am unable to locate my immunization records. What should I do?

If you cannot locate immunization records, you have several options:
a) You can be re-immunized, or
b) You can have a blood test to determine immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis B or Varicella. Please note that if your blood test indicates you are not immune, you will need to be re-immunized.
If you do not have a record of Tdap and /or meningococcal vaccines, you will need to be re-immunized.

Can I have the immunizations I need at Health Services when I arrive on campus?

The required vaccines will need to be administered prior to your arrival on campus.  If you are unable to meet this requirement due to logistical restrictions, please email [email protected].

How does Health Services protect my privacy?

We respect the confidentiality of your health information, and it is our ongoing commitment to ensure that it is protected. For more information, our full confidentiality and privacy policies are available at Health Services and on our website.

Where can I find out more about Health and Wellness?

Our website has information about hours of service, available services, associated costs, BWell Health Promotion, pharmacy, nursing services, Counseling & Psychological Services, EMS and emergency care and much more.