For Spring 2020, due to public health measures related to COVID-19, many BWell programs and services have had to be suspended or altered. Please click here for the most up to date information.
HEALTHy (Helping Educate Athletes on Leadership and Team Health) Athletes
What is the HEALTHy Athletes Program?
The HEALTHy Athletes program is a peer education and leadership program for student-athletes interested in promoting health and wellness in the athletic community.
What is the role of a HEALTHy Athlete Peer Educator?
Peer educators will receive training from professional BWell staff, as well as relevant campus partners on a variety of topics related to health and wellness including alcohol and decision making, consent, bystander intervention, healthy relationships, and sexual health.
Additionally, peer educators will receive training on public speaking, facilitation skills, audience management, and workshop design and marketing. Not only will peer educators learn valuable skills and develop expertise, but they will also have the opportunity to serve as an advocate and peer resource for their team and the greater athletic community.
HEALTHy Athlete peer educators facilitate workshops in conjunction with Health Promotion staff and may also participate in health and wellness outreach projects (like tables on the green, workshop development and promotion, and materials development and distribution). Workshops and outreaches are designed to:
- Promote dialogue about health and wellness in the athletic community
- Increase understanding of safe alcohol use, informed consent, healthy relationships, and sexual health
- Increase confidence in ability to intervene to help a teammate or to address harmful norms
- Model an open and honest approach to health discussions and referrals to university resources
Is there training?
Yes! There is both an initial training and ongoing training covering topics including:
- Effective Facilitation Strategies
- Addressing Diverse Audiences
- Alcohol Use and Decision Making
- Gender Roles
- Healthy Relationships
- Bystander Intervention
- Building Positive Team Culture
- Expectation and Goal Setting
- Consent and Sexual Communication
- University Resources
How do I join?
The HEALTHy Athletes program is looking for a diverse and dynamic group to serve as peer educators and advocates for health, leadership, and wellness in the athletic community. To become a HEALTHy Athlete, fill out this application.
To find out more about HEALTHy Athletes, please contact Tiffany Tran in BWell Health Promotion at [email protected].