The E.J. Lownes Memorial Recital is an annual event made possible by the generosity of Mrs. Theresa K. Lownes in memory of her husband Edgar John Lownes and is hosted by the Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life.
Sunday, March 17, 2019
Free and open to the public
Professor of Music
Hochschule für Musik
Born in 1962 in Bremen, Arvid Gast studied Organ Performance and Church Music at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater in Hannover, Germany. From 1990-1993 he held the position of organist and choirmaster at St. Nikolai church in Flensburg.
Appointed Professor of Organ Performance at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater "Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy" and University Organist in Leipzig in 1993, he remained until 2004 when he accepted the position of Director of the Church Music Institute at the Musikhochschule in Lübeck. He is simultaneously Titular Organist of the historic organs (Stellwagen-Organ from 1637, Large Organ from 1466/1672/1984) in St. Jakobi Luebeck and held the same position at the Concerthall “Kloster Unser Lieben Frauen” in Magdeburg from 2008 to 2014.
In 2007 he founded the "International Dieterich-Buxtehude-Organ-Competition".
He is presently Visiting-Professor of Organ at Oberlin Conservatory, from February until May 2019.
During his studies, Gast has won numerous international organ competitions and is a frequently invited juror for many distinguished international competitions (Leipzig, Graz, Alkmaar, Tokyo, Boston, Moskau). His numerous recordings, concert invitations, and interpretation courses at home and abroad attest to his abilities as an eminent recitalist and pedagogue, and he is currently a foremost interpreter of German Romantic music.
About the Hutchings-Votey Organ in Sayles Hall
The Sayles Hall organ is the largest remaining Hutchings-Votey organ of its type. Built by the Hutchings-Votey Organ Company of Boston, it was given to Brown in 1903 by Lucian Sharpe, class of 1893, in memory of his parents. To receive the organ, which weighs about 25 tons and has more than 3,000 pipes ranging from two to 32 feet in height, the old gallery in Sayles Hall was replaced by a new one with a projecting center. The first recital on the organ was given at Commencement in 1903 by eminent Belgian organist Chevalier August Wiegand. In 1949 the organ was completely renovated, which involved the installation of a new console laid out by the Schantz Organ Company. The last restoration was done by the Potter-Rathbun Company of Cranston, R.I., in 1990; the restored organ was rededicated on Commencement Weekend of 1992 with a performance of a new work by Stephen Scott ’69 M.A. by then University organist Wayne Schneider.