DEEP: Disability Emergency Evacuation Program Enrollment Information
The DEEP program is available to any registered Brown employee who may need assitance evacuating in an emergency. To register for this service, please email SEAS@brown.edu to request a DEEP Registration form.
Once enrolled in DEEP, you office location and contact information will be made available to the Fire Safety personnel on the campus. In the event of an emergency, your contact information will be used to provide assistance if needed and to make sure you are safely out of the building.
The following protocols will be important to review so that you will know what we recommend that you do in an emergency:
Fire Alarm Building Evacuation Procedures For Employees With Disabilities
If you are in a building and unable to evacuate without assistance, make sure that Brown Public safelty is aware you are in the building:
- Call Public Safety (401-863-4111). If there is no answer, leave a message about the alarm, telling them who you are, where you are, and that you need assistance. If the line is busy, proceed to step 2 and call 911.
- If you think no one is aware of your presence, don’t hesitate to call
the Fire Department (dial 9-1-1). Tell them:
- A fire alarm is sounding in your Brown building
- That you have a disability and need assistance
- The name of your building and your room number
- If it is necessary for you to get out of the building, the fire personnel will assist you. Be prepared to explain the quickest way to disengage any equipment to facilitate the evacuation and give any other necessary instructions. Evacuation will occur only if necessary.
Note: Public Safety will be provided the room numbers of employees with disabilities registered with DEEP.
If you are in a building and believe you can safely exit without using an elevator, feel your door before opening it.
- If a door is hot, do not open it. If possible, place a towel under the door and wait by the window so you will be spotted by anyone attempting to see if the room is occupied.
- Place a bright object or piece of clothing in the window to attract attention, but do NOT break the window.
- If you are able to safely leave, please make sure Brown Public Safety is aware that you are okay and out of the building.
- If the fire alarm is sounding, NEVER use the elevators.
If you are not in your usual location and you use a wheelchair or another mobility vehicle or device:
- If you cannot safely reach a ground floor and exit, go to the nearest outside stairwell. Stay on the landing, off to the side.
- As a last resort, go to the nearest interior stairwell.
- If a fire alarm is sounding, NEVER use the elevators.
- E stablish a "buddy system" for your building and department. Your "buddy" can assist you in evacuating quickly or notify emergency personnel of your location in the event that you cannot leave the building without additional assistance.