Registering with SEAS
Brown University does not require that students disclose a disability or impose accommodations without consent. Self-identifying a disability and requesting accommodations are personal decisions. If a student requests accommodations at Brown, that individual is responsible for completing the SEAS registration process.
While the general registration process is outlined below, our staff is available to work with students around specific questions/concerns that might arise. Please contact us at [email protected] or 401-863-9588 to communciate with a staff member directly about this process.
How to Register
- Complete our Information & Release Form and return it to [email protected]
- Request documentation from an appropriate medical provider and have it sent to SEAS via email/fax. Our Verification Form can be used to document physical, medical, or psychological conditions. Please see our Documentation Guidelines if you have questions about the type of documentation needed.
- Complete and submit additional forms for Housing, Dining, and/or Parking accommodations as directed.
- Schedule a time to meet with a SEAS staff member by calling 401-863-9588 (see below for more info about this step).
All forms can be found on our left-hand menu under "Forms and Registration Materials." They can also be requested by emailing [email protected]
Meeting with a SEAS Staff Member
Early in the semester it is important for registering students to meet individually with a SEAS staff member to review documentation, discuss needs, and learn about how the accommodation process works. Appointments can be scheduled by calling the SEAS office at 401-863-9588. If a student is in the Providence area over the summer we are glad to meet before the semester begins. These appointments are essential for students in need of academic supports as we will officially approve accommodations and explain the process of communicating with faculty in this meeting. So please do not forget to come see us after you arrive!
While SEAS will support and work with students throughout this process, students seeking accommodations should be aware that it is their responsibility to:
- Supply supporting documentation to SEAS to determine appropriate services and accommodations.
- Request accommodations from SEAS with sufficient notice. Every effort will be made regardless of time constraints, but since implementing accommodations often involves several offices across campus there are deadlines for priority consideration for certain supports.
- Approach faculty and staff in a confidential setting to discuss accommodations and deliver accommodation letters (which student will receive after meeting with SEAS staff).
- Confirm the adequacy of accommodations as soon as possible and notify SEAS whenever the student encounters unsatisfactory conditions.
- Obtain syllabi and lists of course materials for reproduction in alternate formats (as needed).
- Adhere to deadlines established by SEAS, Residential Life, faculty, the Registrar, etc.
- Pursue financial aid or state vocational rehabilitation support for things above and beyond accommodations, such as personal equipment needs.
- Notify SEAS of pre-registered classes for the following semester so accessible space can be arranged (if necessary).