Resources for Students

Resources at Brown

Campus Access Advisory Committee (CAAC)

A committee made up of administrators, faculty, and students that is charged to review general issues of disability and make recommendations for the continuing education and awareness regarding these issues in the Brown community. Contact SAS at 401-863-9588 or by email at [email protected] if you concerns or questions you want posed to the CAAC.

Career Lab

The Career Lab provides services to undergraduate students to assist in their career success through "early student involvement with career services, applied learning and internships, exploration and research" as well as "connections with alumni and employers." The office conducts workshops, programs and career events. It also provides counseling, career resources, information on internships, research opportunities, employment, as well as tools for self-assessment, career exploration and winning strategies for getting hired.

Chemical Dependency/Recovery

Confidential support is available for students who are in recovery from substance use disorders or who are concerned about their drinking or drug use. Please contact Student Accessibility Services, for more information.  401-863-9588

Community Outreach (Swearer Center)

Community Outreach (Swearer Center) is an umbrella organization for volunteer activities in the Rhode Island community. It provides opportunities for working with people with disabilities. For more information, call 863-3676.

Computer Education

Computer Education provides free computer training to Brown University students, staff, and faculty. The duration of most classes is 90 minutes and take place from Tuesday through Thursday. Located in the CIS building.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers crisis support and short-term counseling to students who are in psychological distress. Also offers support groups, Mental Health Awareness Series, and a lending library. Located in the Health and Wellness Building, 1st floor. For more information, call 863-3476.

Curricular Resource Center

The Curricular Resource Center assists students in planning and carrying out different curricular options by providing advisement, program support and written resource materials. Provides students with information on educational opportunities such as GISPS, ISPs, Academic Internships, and Leave-taking Programs, as well as not-for-credit programs like Resource Scholars, Resource Artists and Brown Around the World.

The College (Academic Advising and Support)

The College offers support for all undergraduate students in matters that are primarily academic. Deans hold open hours each day at the main office located in University Hall. For more information, call 401-863-9800.Health Education

Health Education offers residence hall workshops, individual appointments, phone consultations, peer education and reading materials. Located in the Health and Wellness Building. For more information, call 863-2794.

Health Services

Health Services is open to all undergraduate, graduate and medical students. Must have paid the mandatory health fee. Located in the Health and Wellness Building. For more information, call 863-3953. LGBTQ Resource Center

LGBTQ Center

The LGBTQ Center, established at Brown in 2004, provides a comprehensive range of education/training, cultural, social and educational programming, support services and advocacy services to the entire Brown Community.  The Center works to create and maintain an open, safe, and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students, faculty, and staff, their families and friends, and the campus community at large. For more information visit room 321 in the Stephen Robert Campus Center or call 401-863-3062.


Brown University has seven libraries providing information and research sources to the Brown community including the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, the Sciences Library, the Orwig Music Library, the Art Slide Library, the John Hay Library, the Demography Library, and the Annmary Brown Memorial Library, as well as an off-site collections storage and an affiliated library, the John Carter Brown Library.

Math Resource Center

The Math Resource Center offers assistance on a walk-in basis for Brown students taking calculus courses. Staff, which consists of both undergraduate and graduate students, assist students in understanding the course-work covered in their calculus courses, answer questions, help students through difficulties and consult regarding homework assignments. Assistance is provided on an individual and small group basis. The Math Resource Center Web site provides additional information about the location and hours as well as how to contact them.

Sarah Doyle Women's Center

The Sarah Doyle Women’s Center (SDWC) seeks to provide a comfortable, yet challenging place for students, faculty, and staff to examine the multitude of issues around gender. The SDWC offers programs and services for all members of the Brown community, and is a site for research into and exploration of gender issues that extend into and beyond the classroom. The Center has meeting space and houses an art gallery, darkroom, library, resource center, and lounge area. For more information, call 401-863-3402.

Student Support Services

Student Suport Services staff is available to assist students with a wide-range of issues and concerns that might arise during their time at Brown. The Student Support Services Deans provide 24-hour crisis services for undergraduate, graduate, and medical students with personal or family emergencies, and are available by appointment to consult with individual students about their personal questions/concerns, thus allowing students to succeed and thrive in their academic pursuits.

Swearer Center for Public Service

The Swearer Center for Public Service is founded on the belief that "service is a central concern of a liberal education." It sponsors community-based programs and partnerships, provides tools, resources and advice for doing community service work, as well as information on listings of related courses, funding resources and career opportunities for the socially conscious. For more information, call 401-463-2338.

Tutoring Program

The Brown Tutuoring Program provides tutorial services to any student seeking academic assistance in classes in which he or she is currently enrolled. Tutoring is provided by qualified undergraduate and graduate students to small groups of two to three students. Students registered with SAS can be eligible for individual tutors. See a SAS counselor to discuss eligibility. All students should request tutors through the forms located on the Tutoring website. For more information, stop by 213 Page-Robinson Hall or email [email protected] 

University Ombudsperson

The University Ombudsperson, provides graduate students, medical students, postdocs, faculty and staff an informal, off the record place to bring any issues related to life at Brown. Please call (401)863-6145 or email [email protected]

Writing Center

The Writing Center provides writing assistance for all members of the Brown community. Staffed by graduate students from a variety of disciplines who are experienced in writing and teaching and undergo ongoing training. Associates are prepared to review a variety of types of writing and to discuss your specific writing concerns. Individual conferences are available, as well as workshop sessions. Walk-in hours are available, but appointments in advance are preferable. For more information, please call 863-3524.