Students with Disabilities

Brown University has as its primary aim the education of a highly qualified and diverse student body. The University respects each student's dignity, capacity to contribute, and desire for personal growth and accomplishment.  As part of the commitment to help all students reach their full potential, the University offers equal educational opportunities and reasonable accommodations for the needs of qualified students with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Qualifying for Services

An "individual with a disability" is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. A person is considered to be a person with a disability if he/she has the disability, has a record of the disability, or is regarded as having the disability.

A "physical or mental impairment" is any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs, respiratory (including speech organs), cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genito-urinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin and endocrine. "Mental impairment" means any psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.

"Substantially limits": Unable to perform a major life activity or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner, or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or to most people; the availability of some mitigating measure (such as a hearing aid for someone with a hearing loss that brings hearing acuity within normal limits) is not to be considered when determining if the disability substantially limits the individual.

"Major life activity": Include but are not limited to functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working .

Registering with SEAS

Students with disabilities who need accommodations or services, should register with SEAS.  To register:

  • Contact the SEAS office by email ([email protected]) or phone (401-863-9588) to request an Information & Release form and Documentation Guidelines
  • Complete the Information & Release form and return it to SEAS
  • Request documentation from an appropriate source (see Documentation Guidelines) and have it sent to SEAS via email/fax
  • Complete additional forms for Academic, Housing, Dining, and Parking accommodations as directed
  • Schedule a time to meet with a SEAS staff member by calling 401-863-9588