Ethnic Studies is an interdisciplinary, comparative concentration that examines the construction of race and ethnicity in social, cultural, historical, political, and economic contexts. Concentrators develop individual programs based on areas of focus in consultation with faculty advisors, drawing from courses in the humanities and social sciences. Typical areas of focus are social issues (such as inequality, education, or health), cultural production and the representation of racial groups, processes of racialization, the historical formation of transnational communities and of diaspora, and the history of particular ethnic or racial groups.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Academic Tutor, Viejas Tribal Education Center
- Associate in Integrated Production, Future Leaders Program, Digitas LBi
- Education Intern, Democracy Now! Productions
- Jewish Organizing Fellow, JOIN for Justice
- Paralegal, Clayman & Rosenberg LLP
- Program Intern, School for Field Studies
- Program Support Assistant, U.S. Library of Congress (through HACU National Internship Program)
- Project Specialist, Rhode Island Black Business Association (RIBBA)
- Software Engineer, TripAdvisor
- Harvard University, MA, Human Development and Psychology
- Heritage University, MAMS, Medical Sciences
- Stanford University, PhD, History
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Corps Member, City Year
- Corps Member, Teach For America
- Executive Director, Sports Symposium Inc.
- Legal Assistant, Immigration Center for Women & Children
- Organizer In-Training, AFL-CIO
- Researcher, Zebra Strategies
- Brown University, MAT, Teaching - History/Social Studies
- University of Pennsylvania, PhD, Sociology
- Clinica Research Coordinator, University of California-San Francisco
- College Advisor, College Advising Corps
- Corps Member, Teach for America
- Organizing Coordinator, Garment Worker Center
- Research Assisstant, Ocean State Research Institute
- Brown Alpert School of Medicine, MD
- Palo Alto University, PhD, Clinical Psychology
- Account Executive, DigitasLBi
- Corps Member/Teacher, Teach for America
- Public Policy Fellow, New York Life Foundation, Congresional Hispanic Caucus Institute, Inc.
- Account Associate, Google, Inc.
- Corps Member, AmeriCorps - Institute for the Study and Practice of Nonviolence
- Corps Member, AmeriCorps - The Institute for the Study and Practice of Nonviolence
- Junior Administrative Assistant, Brown University - Population Studies and Training Center
- Office Assistant, World Education, Inc.
- Youth Program Director, CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Yale University, PhD, American Studies
- Fulbright Fellowship