Housed in the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs, the concentration in public policy is organized around the interdisciplinary and comparative study of human societies, but with a particular focus on the rules and norms by which we govern ourselves. The concentration is grounded in the analysis of pressing social problems and the design, implementation, and evaluation of better policies and practices. This commitment to using knowledge to improve the life chances of people who occupy different positions of wealth and power, and who have competing and contentious ideas of about the common good, makes public policy a value-laden and political enterprise that is as much an art as it is a science. It is also a team sport that requires players with different skills and talents to work together across a wide variety of settings.
Students will learn how social, economic, and political issues become the object of public policy, how policy decisions are crafted, made and implemented, as well as different strategies for evaluating their impact. The concentration draws its instructors from a wide variety of disciplines and offers students opportunities for engaged scholarship at the local, national, and global levels. With the support of the advisory team, students develop their own curriculum of study, integrating core courses with electives, internships, independent research, and a capstone experience.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Corps Member (Memphis Rise Academy Teacher), Teach for America
- Development and Communications Coordinator, OpenDoors RI
- Field Organizer, Mobilize 2020
- Freelance Editor, American and Ethnic Studies, Brown University
- Journalist, CNNPolitics
- Marketing Analyst, Municipal Employee Retirement System of Michigan
- Millennial Public Policy Fellow , New America
- Program Assistant, Friends' Committee on National Legislation
- Program Associate, Community Catalyst
- Program Manager, Microsoft Corp.
- Research Assistant - Center for Education Policy Analysis, Stanford University
- Research Assistant, Keybridge Research
- Senior Management and Methods Analyst, Office of Regulatory Reform
- Strategic Engagement Fellow, American Constitution Society
- Analyst, Corporate Strategy and Business Development, The Walt Disney Company
- Analyst, Education Resource Strategies
- Analyst, The Blackstone Group
- Asset Management Analyst, J.P. Morgan
- Associate Consultant, The Bridgespan Group
- Business Analyst, Cartesian
- Immigration Paralegal, Clark Lau LLC
- Pro Bono Case Manager, Philadelphia VIP
- Research Assistant, Economics Department, London School of Economics
- Researcher, Climate and Development Lab
- State Representative, Massachusetts General Court
- Columbia University Law School, JD
- Harvard University Law School, JD
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison, La Follette School of Public Affairs, MPA, Public Affairs
- Fulbright Scholarship