Social Analysis and Research
The Sc.B. concentration in Social Analysis and Research provides both a conceptual and a working knowledge of the techniques for data collection and analysis used for social research in academic and non-academic environments. The centerpiece of the concentration is a rigorous and comprehensive collection of courses: (1) that develop an understanding of the principles underlying the processes of data collection and analysis; and (2) that train students in the application of advanced statistical techniques for data description and analysis. The concepts and skills learned in these courses are reinforced through engagement in applied research with Sociology faculty and/or internships with local organizations in the for profit and not-for-profit sectors.
Concentrators also take courses that provide grounding in the theoretical approaches to social phenomena that are foundational to social research. Graduates develop an understanding of the concepts and processes that underlie the issues studied by sociologists and the analytic techniques that allow sociologists to understand social relations and individual behavior.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- GPS Analyst, Deloitte
- Rotational Analyst, BNP Paribas
- Associate, Kingfish
- Commercial Lines Associate, KORE Insurance Holdings, LLC
- Founder, goTeff
- Trainee Solicitor, Slaughter and May
- Treasury Services Analyst, JP Morgan
- Americorps VISTA Bankruptcy Help Desk, LAF Chicago - AmeriCorps Vista
- Assistant Language Teacher, JET Program
- Paralegal, Chin & Curtis, LLP
- Research Assistant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Pennsylvania, MS, Criminology
- Analyst, Analysis Group, Inc.
- Associate, Fidelity Emerging Leaders Rotational Program, Fidelity Investments
- Associate, Keystone Strategy
- Analyst, Strategy & Analytics, Digitas LBi
- Branded Content Fellow, Quartz
- Analyst, Strategy & Analytics, DigitasLBI
- Director of Business Development, Five Tran
- Research Assistant, Abt Associates
- Research Assistant, University of Vermont
- Communications Manager; Project Proposal Officer, IMPACT Switzerland
- Corps Member, Teach For America
- University of Oxford, MS, International Development
- Brown University, BSSI, Behavioral and Social Sciences Intervention