SPRINT Frequently Asked Questions






General Information & Eligibility
How Do I Apply?
Financial Information
Financial Aid | Important Contact Info
Research/Internship Location
SPRINT Opportunities Search Tool   
Terms of the SPRINT Awards





General Information & Eligibility:


What do you define as an internship?
According to the National Associate of Colleges and Employers (NACE): “An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting.”  It is a professional experience that links practical work with a Brown student’s field of study, and allows the student to gain new skills.  We expect these experiences to be structured and supervised. 

If you have questions about whether or not an opportunity is eligible, please contact BrownConnect at [email protected]

I received summer LINK, UTRA or Signature Program funding in a previous summer. Am I eligible for a SPRINT award?
Summer Awards are competitive and funding is limited.  Students who have received summer funding from BrownConnect (LINK, UTRA, Signature Programs) in a previous summer will not receive priority consideration, but are eligible to apply again. Supporting students on Brown University financial aid—particularly students with the highest demonstrated financial need —is the primary priority of the College and available summer funding. Receiving a previous academic year UTRA will not impact your eligibility for a summer SPRINT.

Can I apply for more than one SPRINT Program Award?
There are three SPRINT grant applications available in UFunds – LINK, Signature Employer Partner Programs, and UTRA -- and students may apply to more than one but they can only accept one award and must choose their program of preference. Applying to more than one SPRINT Award program will not impact your chances of receiving a SPRINT Award, and the SPRINT Program’s priority is to support aided students, particularly students with the highest demonstrated financial need.   Please note that students may apply to up to two Signature Employer Partner Programs as well and will need to rank their opportunities of choice for each program.

Are SPRINT applications and notifications rolling?
No, applications are not rolling and will not be reviewed prior to the deadlines. There is no preference provided to applications submitted prior to the deadlines.

How selective is awards funding?

We expect to receive more applications than we can fund, so an award is not guaranteed. Because funding is limited, we will prioritize funding for students with demonstrated financial need (students who are receiving brown University aid)  -- particularly students with the highest demonstrated financial need as defined by the University.

In addition to the general criteria, each type of SPRINT opportunity has its own eligibility criteria listed under eligibility on the  SPRINT overview page.

What are the BrownConnect Signature Programs for summer 2023?
The following 8 funded summer internships are offered by CareerLAB and the Swearer Center and are exclusive to Brown students:
Liman Public Interest Fellowship
Brown in Washington Summer Fellowship
Careers in the Common Good in New York
Germany Entrepreneurship Program
iProv Summer Fellowship Program
•  Media in LA
Sweden Entrepreneurship Program
Israel Entrepreneurship Program

What is the selection process for the SPRINT?
Applications are reviewed by a committee of SPRINT reviewers. For opportunities with partners (Faculty partners, community partners, or Signature employers), partners may have the opportunity to provide input on the final selection process. Priority will be given to students on Brown University Financial Aid.

What are application reviewers looking for?
Selection committees and employers will be evaluating your application based on the impact the opportunity will provide for you and your personal, professional, learning trajectory. One of the ways we measure the impact is through novel experiences that allow students to develop new skills. If you have had similar experience in the past, the application questions provide a good opportunity for you to establish how this summer’s work is substantially different from previous experiences.

How do I find a research opportunity?
Review the list of opportunities posted by faculty. You can also learn about Brown faculty research interests by searching the University’s Research Directory. This website provides useful guidance for connecting with faculty.

What if I reached out to a Brown faculty member and they have already agreed to partner with me on a project?
Just as students may apply for funding with internship opportunities they found independently, students may apply for funding to support Unlisted Faculty Collaborations. In the Ufunds application for Faculty Collaborations, download the Unlisted Faculty Form and ask your faculty partner to complete their portion confirming their willingness to partner with you on this project. Faculty will not need to submit a separate application.

Is there a grade or GPA requirement or will my grades or academic standing be considered?
The SPRINT review committee does not review transcripts or grades and SPRINTs are open to students regardless of academic standing. We encourage all eligible students to apply regardless of what your academic record looks like. Brown does not calculate GPA, and academic records, such as grades, do not necessarily correlate or predict a student’s ability to successfully engage in meaningful learning and professional development. Research has shown that all students - regardless of background, self-identification, or GPA - benefit from well-structured opportunities to develop mentoring relationships, apply what they have learned beyond the classroom, and learn new ways of thinking, problem-solving, collaborating, and working. These are all skills that students develop in activities supported by SPRINT awards.

How do I apply for a SPRINT Award?
SPRINT applications can be found on the UFUNDS site.

Do I need to prove that I have been offered or selected for an opportunity before applying?
We understand that your internship plans may not be set at time of application, however your application will be stronger with a targeted opportunity.   We recommend that you have applied for your opportunity (or are in the interview process).  You can apply without having secured a position, but you need to apply with a position in mind to best demonstrate your areas of growth and interest, as well as your need for funding. For LINK internship awards, students must provide an organization name and position in their application- if you have not secured a position yet then you would highlight an organization or position that you are targeting in the application (go with the opportunity that you have the strongest interest in). 

For an Unlisted Faculty UTRA Collaboration award, students will need to upload a form from their faculty sponsor verifying their oversight of the project.  If students are selected to receive an Unlisted UTRA or LINK award, the SPRINT team will need verification from your sponsor, mentor, or faculty member before releasing award funding.

What are the deadlines for this 2023 Award applications?

December 6, 2022 - NOON EST Brown in Washington* Final Deadline

February 2, 2023 - NOON EST

 Please note: This is the only deadline for SPRINT UTRA and SPRINT Signature awards

Applicants will be notified by March 31st
(*Signature and LINK round 1 applicants may be notified earlier than other applicants)

April 11, 2023- NOON EST

Applicants will be notified of awards in early-May.

Will there be open hours for questions?
Yes.  BrownConnect will be hosting open hours via Zoom.  Please check the CareerLAB Events Calendar for further details.

Who can I contact with other questions about SPRINT Awards?

I really need help finding an internship opportunity this summer.  Can I talk to someone?
CareerLAB counselors are available to meet via Zoom or in-person.  You can reserve time directly with a career counselor in Handshake.  If you visit Handshake and can’t find a time that works for you, please email [email protected] and we will work to schedule a meeting with you.

What programs exist if I am not eligible or selected for awards? 
Brown’s off-campus federal work study program operates during the summer, placing eligible students into work study opportunities with community partners. More information about the Swearer Center’s Summer Community Corps can be found here. 

If I receive a SPRINT Award, can I also accept another University award during the same summer  (Royce etc)?
No, students who receive a SPRINT award may not also receive another University award such as the Royce, Voss, etc. during the same summer. However, in certain circumstances and with permission from the SPRINT team, students may receive additional department funds. In addition, eligible students may receive E-GAP funding concurrently with a SPRINT award.



Financial Information

I read the information on the SPRINT overview page about the additional Gap Award for aided students.  Where can I find out information about my Parental Contribution/Responsibility?
A student’s level of financial need is determined annually by the Office of Financial Aid (OFA). The Parent Responsibility can be found in the Financial Aid Eligibility statement in Banner Self-Service (for the aid year prior to the summer experience).   

For additional information on the calculation that is used to determine Parent, Student, and overall Family Responsibility, please consult the Office of Financial Aid website which outlines these aid components in detail. It is important to note that the OFA is not able to alter the Parent Responsibility in order for a student to receive the higher additional Gap award. All financial aid appeals for a lower Parent Contribution are evaluated independently from the SPRINT award process.

Will I also receive a Summer Earnings Waiver (SEW) if I receive a SPRINT Award? 
Brown University financial aid recipients who are eligible for University Scholarship will automatically be considered for both BrownConnect SPRINT and SEW awards, based on eligibility and previous award history. Students receiving financial aid from Brown do not need to submit an additional application to be considered for a SEW.

What is a Summer Earnings Waiver (SEW)?

Students on Financial Aid have a Summer Earnings Expectations included in their financial aid award; the Summer Earnings Expectation is a part of the total Expected Family Responsibility and is a standard contribution toward educational costs for all aided students at Brown. The expectation is that a student will earn funds during the summer to contribute toward the following year's academic expenses. If a student is selected to receive a SPRINT Award, they will automatically also receive what is called a Summer Earnings Waiver (SEW) if they remain eligible and have not received a SEW (affiliated with a LINK, UTRA or Signature program) in a prior summer. This will waive their Summer Earnings Expectation and provide additional scholarship aid in its place with funding provided to Financial Aid by BrownConnect or the Swearer Center. The additional aid is referred to as a SEW and will be provided as part of the student’s financial aid award in the academic year following their summer experience.

Summer Earnings Waivers (SEW) help to make it possible for students who are required to contribute towards their educational costs to gain valuable experience. SEW awards are open to financial recipients who are eligible for University Scholarship. The additional aid waives the annual summer earnings requirement up to the standard summer earnings contribution for the academic year - for 2022 this was $2900.  Receipt of a SEW is contingent upon the student's continued eligibility for University Scholarship in the aid year directly following their summer experience.

SEWs are not transferable to other academic years, and are only for the one immediately following the SPRINT funded internship or research opportunity. If a student takes a leave of absence in the academic year following their SPRINT funded experience, their SEW will likely be adjusted to match the remaining level of their summer earnings expectation. As such, if a student finds it necessary to take a full year leave of absence, the need for a SEW no longer exists as their educational expenses and aid offer for the year are both canceled.

I am a US Citizen/permanent resident student, how do I receive the stipend payment?
Students will receive their stipends through Brown University Payroll via direct deposit, once enrolled.  In order to receive stipends via direct deposit, you will need to complete your I-9 process first.  Once that is completed, you can then elect direct deposit by signing into Workday and select "Pay" then "Payment Elections." Be sure to add accounts prior to changing payment elections.We highly recommend you completing the I-9 process as soon as possible to ensure timely payment. 

I’m an international student.  What do I need to know about receiving payments for an award at Brown?
  International Students and Scholars are asked to complete the Foreign National Information System (FNIS) data entry at least once annually. Completion of FNIS data entry allows the Controller/Payroll office to determine your tax residency status (Non-Resident Alien [or] Resident Alien) and to determine eligibility for tax treaty exemptions (if applicable), for each calendar year.  It is important you log into FNIS and either register for the first time (if you haven't ever) or check to confirm that all of your personal information is correct and make any necessary changes to: your Visa status if it has changed AND/OR, your documents if they are expired AND/OR, your income if the type of income you are receiving has changed from the last time you were in FNIS, AND/OR your exit or entry dates if they have changed.

  • International students located abroad: Students will be paid through the supplier invoice method if they are not a U.S citizen and will not be located in the U.S when they receive payment.  Please register as a supplier in order to be paid through ACH.   
  •  International students in the US:  If you are not a U.S citizen, but will be located in the U.S when you receive payment, you will be paid through Brown University Payroll via direct deposit, once enrolled.  In order to receive payment via direct deposit, you will need to complete your I-9 process first.  Once that is completed, you can then elect direct deposit by signing into Workday and select "Pay" then "Payment Elections." Be sure to add accounts prior to changing payment elections.  Please note, the direct deposit election can take up to ten business days to complete.

In addition, It is important that your FNIS is updated to confirm if you are located in the U.S or outside of the U.S.  It is important to note that Direct Deposit can only be set up after a social security number (SSN) has been obtained and provided to the HR Service Center and included in your FNIS record.

I am a student who will be utilizing my funds outside of the United States during my fellowship.  Is there anything special I need to do?   Fill out the required information for Brown-sponsored travel through Brown’s TravelSafe Registration Portal.

Financial Aid Important Contact Info


Where is my check?
Please contact:
Sarah Peri | Academic Finance and Administration (AFA) | 401-863-1072 | [email protected]

Where do I go to I-9 and/or provide my SSN?
Please visit: HR Service Center  | Page-Robinson Hall | 69 Brown Street, Providence, RI 02912 | Second Floor |
401- 863-5200 | Hours of Operation

I signed up for Direct Deposit, will my payment be deposited into my account?
To help ensure your direct deposit is accepted, please complete your I-9 with the HR Service Center and ask them to enter your Social Security Number into Workday.  Once that information is in the system, you can elect for direct deposit.  There is a Direct Deposit job aid available in Workday for assistance.  Please understand that your direct deposit information will take up to 10 business days to complete.
Please contact: Payroll | [email protected] | 401-863-2361| 8:30am -5:00pm M-F 

I am an international student/scholar with questions about my visa and immigration status.
Please contact: OISSS | Page-Robinson Hall | 69 Brown Street, Providence, RI 02912 | Third Floor | 401- 863-2427 | Office Hours



Research/Internship Location

Is summer housing provided?
Housing is NOT provided to summer SPRINT recipients. Students generally sublet apartments in the area for the summer, or live in summer housing offered by local colleges and universities.

Can I apply for funding for an international internship opportunity?
SPRINT will adhere to Brown's High-Risk and Restricted Travel Policies. If a student’s program requires international travel, they will adhere to the University's travel policies, including registering their travel in TravelSafe and completing a Safety Plan for review and approval of High Risk travel, as applicable. If the location of their internship changes to High-Risk after they have started their program abroad, they may be asked to complete a Safety Plan or the internship program may be canceled and shifted to a remote experience, if possible.


Still have questions? 

Review the SPRINT Overview Page or Attend a Workshop or Open Hours