Diversity & Inclusion Statement
As a career center, we are distinctly positioned to assist students in preparing for the future. We are committed to providing all students with the tools and resources necessary for success and acknowledge that systems of oppression and systemic racism create inequities in access to and opportunities in career development. We recognize that students from diverse backgrounds may experience inequitable barriers or have unique needs when identifying potential employers or opportunities, navigating professional environments, or cultivating networks and connections.
It is our hope that this page serves as a tool for furthering your career exploration and internship and job searches. This page is by no means exhaustive of all the options and opportunities available to diverse students, but it is one of many steps forward as we work towards diverse, equitable, and inclusive programming and practices in career exploration. We recognize that this work is dynamic, continuous, and critically engaged and we remain committed to the sustained growth of diversity, equity, and inclusion in career-related services and programming. We strive to continuously reflect on and improve this page and foster belonging in our space.
We encourage students and colleagues to engage with us in conducting and envisioning this work. If you have suggestions for how we can better support students, please let us know!
- Opportunities (includes programming, job boards, guides, conferences, fellowships, and internships; here's a tutorial on how to use this resource)
- A Guide to Assessing Employers (things to consider when evaluating an organization)
- "Red Flag" Interview questions (illegal or problematic interview questions)
- Equitable hiring practices and recommendations for employers
Within our Handshake system, we labeled employers that were listed on one curated lists below in an effort to directly connect students with organizations and opportunities that align with affinities. Many of these employers are actively hiring students, and offer opportunities outside of consulting, finance, STEM roles. These employers and opportunities have been earmarked using labels in Handshake. Learn more about using labels and how they are specifcally being used to organize affinity employers and opportunities within the Handshake system.
- Forbes’ America’s Best Employers for Diversity (2022)
- FirstHand’s Best Banking Firms for Diversity (2022)
- Fortune's Top 20 companies on diversity and inclusion (2021)
- Refinitiv’s Top 100 Most Diverse & Inclusive Companies (2021)
- InHerSight’s 50 Best Companies For Women to Work For (2022)
- Human Rights Watch’s Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality (2022)
Link directly to a Handshake search of opportunities currently available at organizations that were on one of the lists above.
- Internships - See list in Handshake
- Full-time Jobs - See list in Handshake
- Fellowships - See list in Handshake
We have also compiled a curated list of opportunities that are actively encouraging diverse applicants.
- CareerLAB and Employer Events - See list in Handshake
- Campus - See list on [email protected]
- A list of alumni indicating an interest in networking and discussing First Generation and Low Income College Student
- A list of alumni indicating an interest in networking and discussing Gender in the Workplace
- A list of alumni indicating an interest in networking and discussing LGBTQ in the Workplace
- A list of alumni indicating an interest in networking and discussing Race / Ethnicity (Historically Underrepresented Groups)
- Campus resources (institutional departments, student organizations, etc)
- Black Student Wellness Collective
Diversity and Inclusion Action Plans