CAPS offers support for after hours health concerns and immediate assistance needs. Your wellbeing is our priority, and we will handle your case with care. Students are always encouraged to reach out, even after hours. Here are the care options available to you:
CAPS On Demand, Available 24/7
- All students can access immediate care through CAPS on Demand, available 24/7, by calling 401-863-3476 and following the prompts. Students who are experiencing any level of distress or concern are actively encouraged to reach out. Students in a crisis that involves suicidal or homicidal thoughts are helped throughout the day, no appointment necessary.
If you are facing a life-threatening or medical emergency:
- If on campus, call Brown EMS at 401-863-4111 for immediate assistance. Their services are available 24/7. You can also contact the Department of Public Safety at 401-863-4111 for accessibility and safety emergencies.
- If off campus, call 911.
Sexual Assault Response Resources, Available 24/7:
- Call the Brown Sexual Assault Response Line at 401-863-6000, available 24/7, for confidential crisis support and information.
- Call community resource Day One at 800-494-8100, available 24/7, for confidential crisis support and information that is unaffiliated with the university.
For advice on helping a student in distress:
Alternatives to CAPS On Demand:
It is imperative that students get the care they need and, if preferred, there are plenty of options to do so outside of the university setting. Here are some community and national resources that provide urgent mental health services that are unaffiliated with Brown.
- Samaritans of Rhode Island (great option if you are feeling anxious, stressed, depressed, or just need to talk to someone): 401-272-4044.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (great option for situations related to self-harm and suicidal thoughts): 800-273-8255
- Crisis TextLine (great option if talking in voice to someone is a barrier): Text 'HOME' to 741741 to be connected.