Our Services

Our Services

Brown is committed to students’ mental and physical health, recognizing that both are vital to wellbeing and success. Brown students should reach out to Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) for assistance with urgent and non-immediate mental health needs. CAPS offers short-term and goal-directed mental health services for currently enrolled students who are located in the state of RI. CAPS providers work with students to create an individualized treatment plan, with options for services within and outside of the University.

We are committed to making sure that any student who needs to be seen urgently can do so, and we also do our best to provide care for students who are unlikely to be able to connect to care with an off-campus provider.

Mental Health Matters: Finding Care at CAPS

Schedule an Initial Consult

  • Call 401-863-3476 or visit Health and Wellness to talk with a receptionist. 
  • Initial consults are 30 minute appointments designed to help you and your clinician identify appropriate treatments. 
  • You will be scheduled with the next available CAPS provider to ensure quicker access. 
  • The clinician will explore your presenting problem, conduct a safety assessment, and discuss a menu of treatment options, such as:

Continued Care with CAPS

  • Short-term, goal-directed therapy with CAPS.
    - After your initial consult, you will be scheduled with a clinician to begin counseling.  You may be scheduled with the first available provider or you may choose to wait for the clinician of your choice to have an opening.
    - You will work with your counselor during 50-minute appointments every other week to develop and pursue treatment goals. When your goal is achieved, if you still want to continue with therapy, CAPS clinicians can assist you in connecting with a community provider.
  • Psychiatric care at CAPS.
  • CAPS group counseling or workshops.
  • Recommendation for an urgent care appointment.

Referrals to Other Services and Providers

  • Referral to outpatient counseling with a community provider for concerns that require weekly appointments, a type of therapy not practiced by our team, or interest in open-ended therapy sessions.
  • Referral to a telehealth provider (Zencare, Psychology Today, and HealthiestYou).
  • Referral to a campus partner (e.g. SSS, Graduate Student Dean’s Office, SAS, Health Services, Residential Life, etc.).
  • Health Services: medical consultaiton for medication and/or dietitian.

No Follow-up at This Time

  • If you do not wish to seek further treatment at this time, you are always welcome to return to CAPS for another initial consulation if there is a change in your wellbeing or you decide you are ready.

Medical Records Request/Release Authorization


Many students come to Brown with a history of coping with ADHD, and other students are diagnosed during their time at Brown. Meeting with a CAPS counselor can help you explore whether attentional difficulties are part of your experience, and if so, why (ex: ADHD or some other mental health concern or stressor). Student Accessibility Services (SAS) can also help students explore whether it would be useful to participate in an off-campus neuropsychological evaluation to get a better understanding of a student’s learning profile and possible academic accommodations.

CAPS and SAS co-lead an ADHD support group that typically meets during the fall and spring semesters.

Individual Counseling

Students who come to CAPS for individual counseling typically have appointments with their counselors every other week. Students engage in a dialogue with their CAPS counselor to identify goals and duration of treatment.

Group Counseling
Crisis Services

Telehealth Services

During summer 2022 CAPS piloted providing telehealth counseling appointments for students. We are exploring what role telehealth can play in providing mental health services for Brown students as we move forward.


Eating Disorder Treatment

Health & Wellness at Brown provides a team treatment approach for students who are coping with eating concerns or an eating disorder. The team typically consists of a medical professional, a nutritionist, and a counselor (either at CAPS or in the community). The team works with students to identify an individualized treatment plan, and makes recommendations that could include on-campus or off-campus treatment options.