Commencement 2017 will take place Sunday, May 28, 2017.
Each May, Brown University confers honorary, graduate, medical, and undergraduate degrees on Commencement day, the culmination of a campus-wide weekend celebration. It is a time of great ceremony, pageantry, and rejoicing, much of it representing traditions that are centuries old.
Events for graduating undergraduates, their family and friends include Campus Dance on Friday night, Baccalaureate service Saturday afternoon, and Commencement Sunday. The Commencement website is your source for information. Several key points and common questions are as follows:
- Additional information about the Commencement Weekend schedule is available on the Commencement website -- specific details are updated as the year progresses.
- You do not need tickets for Commencement. Some events during the weekend do require tickets (e.g., students and guests must purchase tickets for Campus Dance, performances during the weekend may require tickets for admission).
- Information for guests with special needs, and deadlines for some specific requests, is also available on the Commencement website.
- Many Commencement Weekend events occur outdoors -- including Campus Dance on Friday, and the Commencement Procession and the University ceremony on Sunday.
- Sunday's College and University cermonies are streamed live on the Brown home page. Once the University ceremony on the College Green is completed, students and families move to 50 different locations around campus for diploma cermonies (e.g., Economics, History, Public Health, Urban Studies) which are not streamed live. These are smaller events by program, at which students receive their diplomas.
- Commencement at Brown is also Alumni Reunion, so there are several thousand alumni and many alumni events on campus that weekend as well.