Student Records

Academic Records, Grades, and Transcripts

A federal law known as the Federal Educational Rights and Protection Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of student education records. The rights delineated under FERPA transfer from the parent to the student when the student reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. FERPA limits the information universities are allowed to give about individual students without the student's express permission.

Parents or legal guardians who want the University to send their student's grade reports to them must submit a written request for such information to the Registrar's Office ( If the request is accepted by the student, a paper copy of each subsequent semester's grades is sent to the parent making the request.

Complete academic transcripts can be requested only by the student. Students may request an official transcript on-line, by mail, or in person at the Registrar's Office. Instructions are detailed on the Registrar's website.

Enrollment Verification

Official certifications of enrollment are sometimes needed for loan deferments, health insurance coverage, government documents, and other purposees. Instructions for obtaining enrollment verification are posted in the Records section on the bottom of the Registrar's website.

Health and Psychological Services Records

Students’ Health Services records are confidential and are not released to  anyone, including parents and legal guardians, without written authorization from the student. In emergency situations, University officials contact parents directly. Parents who are concerned about their son’s or daughter’s mental health can discuss their concern and seek advice by contacting the Office of Psychological Services at (401) 863-3476. Psychological Services will usually not discuss a student’s situation with a parent or guardian unless the student has signed a release authorization form. Information may be shared without the student’s consent only if required or permitted by law. Parents whose students have special physical or mental-health needs are encouraged to talk with their sons and daughters about the challenges they may face in making the transition to college life, and to encourage their student to know about and make use of campus resources.

Immunization Records

Rhode Island State law requires that all post-secondary students (undergraduate, graduate, and medical) supply proof of immunization prior to the first day of classes. Proof of immunization is one of the Health Services forms that must be completed by a student in the summer prior to beginning September enrollment, or in the months preceding January or June enrollment. Any questions about immunization or immunization records should be directed to the Associate Director of Health Services; Health Services will gladly assist students who have difficulty locating or providing proof of immunization. Immunizations are also available to enrolled students through Health Services.