Brown University Shuttles
Campus shuttles are available to students, faculty and staff with a valid Brown ID. Brown University Shuttle vans circle the campus shuttle route continuously, stopping at prescribed locations. No reservations are required. Shuttle schedules, a map of stops and shuttle routes, and the real-time tracker are available on the Transportation website. Use the Shuttle stop texting service to find out when the next two shuttles will arrive at a particular stop.
- Daytime: The Brown Daytime Shuttle is a scheduled, fixed-route daytime service between Brown/RISD, the hospitals, downtown, and the Jewelry District.
- Evening: The Brown Evening Shuttle is a scheduled, fixed-route evening service around the Brown campus.
- RISD Rides: Brown and RISD students may ride either school's shuttles with a proper Brown or RISD ID. See the RISD Rides page for routes and schedules.
- Off campus service: Brown onCall arranges rides for Brown ID holders between a Brown University campus building and a rider’s off-campus residence within the defined coverage area. Registration is required, and a student's correct off-campus address must be on file in their selfservice Banner information.
- SEAS onCall is reservation-based transportation for members of the Brown community who have disabilities and need assistance getting around campus. Registration with Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS) is required.
- Injured? SEAS coordinates services and accommodations for students who have injury-related, time-limited needs -- such as providing transportation from an off-campus apartment to class for a student with a broken leg.
Safewalk, a program run by Brown students, provides point-to-point walking escorts on campus after dark. Safewalk details are available on the Public Safety website.
Many students bring bicycles to campus, although the cold air and slick surfaces of the winter months restrict riding during that part of the year. Residence halls have Bike Rooms for indoor storage. To decrease the risk of theft, students are advised to register their bike with Brown Public Safety, affix the registration sticker to the bike, and lock their bike (whether outdoors or in) using a theft-deterrent type of bike lock.
RIPTA is the Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority. Current faculty, staff, and students with valid Brown ID can ride any RIPTA bus or trolley anywhere in Rhode Island at no charge. RIPTA details are available on the Transportation website.
Zipcar is an internet-based service that allows students to rent a car for an hour or two or for an entire day. Zipcar details are available on the Transportation website.
Brown’s parking facilities, administered by the Transportation Office, are available to active employees, emeriti, graduate and medical students, and a limited number of junior and senior undergraduates. When applications open for parking permits, students are notified by email or Morning Mail.
Getting to the Airport, Train, or Bus Station
TAXI companies and airport shuttle in Rhode Island
You can take a taxi from campus to the train, bus station, or airport
- Call a taxi company (Google search) or the airport shuttle/"limousine" (a van)
- If you need to leave early in the morning, call a company the day before to arrange a precise time and location for pick up
MBTA train service to TF Green (Warwick, RI) Airport
MBTA commuter trains leave from the Providence Amtrak Train Station (near the Providence Place Mall)
To get to TF Green: Take the MBTA commuter rail from the Providence Train Station south to TF Green Airport. Check the schedule for the Providence/Stoughton Line (Outbound from Providence to TF Green, or Inbound from TFGreen to Providence).
To get to Boston/Logan: Take the MBTA commuter rail from the Providence Train Station north to South Station, then switch to the Silver Line to Logan Airport terminals. For instructions, check the Getting to Logan info on the MBTA site.
BUS service to TF Green (Warwick, RI) via RIPTA and to Logan (Boston) Airports via Peter Pan Bus Lines
To TF Green, RIPTA buses leave from Providence Kennedy Plaza (downtown). You can walk to Kennedy Plaza or take a bus from the Thayer Street tunnel (Tunnel is 218 Thayer St, Providence). On the RIPTA website, select Schedule & Fares, Trip Planner to identify your bus and time. Current students who show Brown ID are able to ride any RIPTA bus or trolley anywhere within the state at no charge.
To Boston/Logan, Peter Pan buses leave from the Providence Bus Terminal (2 miles north of campus. Take a cab from campus to the bus terminal.)
Pagedate: 28 June 2013