Health Care & Insurance

United States Health System

The internet has a variety of helpful introductions to the role of insurance in health care in the United States, including and the International Student Guide to Study in the United StatesPlease note that these links are provided only for your convenience.  Brown does not endorse these sites or their services. Please don't hesitate to contact Brown's Office of Insurance and Risk with any questions you may have.

Health Insurance at Brown

Brown Health Services offers a variety of medical services to all students (undergraduate, graduate, and medical). An annual health services fee is charged to all students to cover the cost of providing care at Health Services. However, this fee does not include health insurance.

All students must have separate health insurance to cover services not provided by the Health Services fee (such as lab, x-ray, pharmacy and hospital expenses). Students are automatically enrolled in the Brown Student Health Insurance Plan.  This plan is designed specifically to complement the services provided by Health Services and Psychological Services. However, students may waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan if they are covered by a comparable health insurance plan.   When evaluating your plan, you must verify that your plan provides adequate coverage that is accessible in the Providence area.  Students must complete an online waiver form at by the deadline of June 1, 2012.

It is particularly important that international students verify that their insurance plan provides adequate coverage accessible in the Providence area before waiving the Student Health Insurance.  In order to waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan, a student's insurance policy must provide the following:

  • Adequate coverage that is accessible in the Providence area for lab tests and x-rays, prescription drugs, hospitalization (including room and board, physicians' fees, and surgical expenses), outpatient hospital services, and emergency room care.
  • If participating in intercollegiate sports, coverage must meet the NCAA required minimum of $90,000 for intercollegiate sports injuries;
  • Coverage through August 15 (for the 2012-2013 academic year, coverage must be through August 15, 2013);
  • Coverage up to $500,000 in policy limits; and
  • Not have a high deductible that needs to be met before one is allowed to access coverage.

For questions about health insurance, please consult the Office of Insurance and Risk.