Frequently Asked Questions


I've never considered the Ivy League or anything like that ... What do you look for in an applicant?

If you apply through the RUE program, the factors that the admission office looks for are very different from the traditional undergraduates. SATs aren't required, and your high school grades don't really matter. What we look for is:

  • Honorable military service, preferably with a strong story showing leadership and commitment to helping others or serving the greater good.
  • Strong post-military academics. It doesn't matter if you got bad grades in high school, but the admission office wants to make sure you can handle the intellectual rigor and workload you'll experience at Brown. For his reason, we like to see very strong post-military grades (all or mostly A's) at community college or other school, preferably with some challenging classes (i.e. Calculus, Chinese, Chemistry).
  • Strong letters of recommendation, both from the service side (previous supervisor, commander, etc.) and the academic side (professor you've worked closely)

The bottom line is that we want you to succeed! Our office will be happy to go over the admission process with you and help you strategize about how best to position yourself before and during your application.

Should I apply as a RUE or a transfer student?

The vast majority of our veteran students apply under the RUE (Resumed Undergraduate Education) program. Although individual circumstances may vary, this is usually the best route for veteran students, because the application is specifically targeted towards older, non-traditional students, and gives you more opportunity to show your service and life experiences, and how that makes you a strong candidate. Also, in the RUE pool you'll be compared with other similar students, whereas the transfer pool is more similar to the traditional undergraduate population.

If you'd like to discuss the options further or have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact our office.

How many student veterans are there at Brown? What is the community like?

For the most up-to-date data on our current US veteran students, see here. (We also have several international veterans.) Many of them choose to actively participate in the Brown University Student Veterans Society and help one another succeed at Brown. Students are welcome to have as little or as much interaction with one another and the BUSVS as they desire. At Brown, most things are optional — it is all about making this experience yours!

The Office of Student Veterans and Commisioning Programs, with the support of the Admission Office and the University administration, is actively seeking to increase the number of student veterans at Brown. If you're a veteran, we welcome your application!

How much of Brown's tuition will my GI Bill® benefits cover?

For students who are 100% eligible for the post-9/11 GI Bill, the current tuition and benefit numbers for 2017-18 are:

Tuition and fees charged: $52,231
GI Bill pays to school: $22,805
Yellow Ribbon (Brown + VA match): $20,000
Out of pocket tuition: $9,426
Housing allowance (monthly): $1,719
Book stipend: $1,000
Total paid to you: $16,471

Also be aware that Brown's need-based financial aid may cover some or all of the out-of-pocket costs that the GI Bill does not cover. Most of our veteran students attend Brown for little or no money out of pocket.


I have the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, but I've already used some of it. Is there any way to tell how much I've got left?

Yes! You can see your eligibility and benefits remaining on the DoD's MyAccess site: Once you register in the system and log in, it will give you a list of services you can access, one of which is eBenefits. Once on the eBenefits page, roll over the "View My Status" menu at the top and select "Post-9/11 GI Bill Enrollment Status." That will give you a screen like this:


This screen gives you all the relevant information about your GI Bill benefits: what your eligibility percentage is, how many months of benefits you started out with, and how many you have left. It also shows your enrollment history.

If you think you will run out of benefits before completing your studies at Brown, it's very important to prepare for this in advance. (Remember: if you're a RUE student and you didn't apply for financial aid when you applied to Brown, you are ineligible to apply for it later.) Please come talk to us if you think you are at risk of running out of benefits.

Is there parking on campus?

Parking on College Hill is difficult. Brown offers assigned spaces in their parking garages. Unfortunately these spots are competitive and you may be subject to a waitlist. There is hourly parking around campus with the time limits strictly enforced. A number of students rent a spot near campus through a third party.

I don’t have a car, is there public transportation?

The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) provides fast and efficient service in Providence and the entire state of Rhode Island. Brown students get free bus rides with their student ID card. Brown also offers various shuttle services in and around campus, including to locations around the city where Brown offices and departments are located.

What kind of campus organizations can I join?

There are many ways for you to be involved on campus. Brown offers student groups (over 400 of them!), sports (intramural, club, and varsity),  outdoor clubs, opportunities for community engagement, and so much more.

Some organizations our current student veterans are involved with are:

  • Men’s Club Rugby
  • Men’s Crew
  • Brown Culinary Group
  • Brown Outdoor Leadership Training (BOLT)
  • Brown Investment Group
  • AmeriCorps, non-profit volunteer organization

What if I think I may need accessibility accommodations?

The Office of Student and Employee Accessibility Services (SEAS) is an excellent resource for any student. They can help assess what if any needs you may have and are valuable advocates for different learning styles, physical abilities, etc. at Brown. They also have specific training in veterans' issues.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at