Are you looking for resources to help you support student veterans in your class?
- Participate in the Teaching and Advising Student Veterans Workshop held in November as a part of Veterans Appreciation Week. This workshop is organized by the Office of Student Veterans and Commissioning Programs, and is open to instructors, students, and staff.
- Listen to student veterans' stories about their experience in Brown classrooms.
- Explore the resources on this page to learn about classroom practices, about military life and transitioning to civilian life, and about campus resources for instructors.
A snapshot of student veterans on campus
Read about classroom practices that support student veterans
- Bart, M. (2012). "Helping Student Veterans Succeed in the Classroom," Faculty Focus Newsletter. Magna Publications.
- Doe, S. (2013). "The Uneasy Civilian: On Campus with Faculty and Student Vets," Syracuse University Institute for Veterans and Military Families.
- Lighthall, A. (2014). "Ten Things You Should Know about Today's Student Veteran," Thought and Action, a publication by the National Education Association, pp. 80-89.
- Military and Veteran Student Services, San Jose State University (2014). "Teaching Student Veterans."
- Sportsman, M.A. and Thomas, L. (2015). "Coming Home to School: Challenges and Strategies for Effective Teaching of Military Veterans," InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching.
- Williams, J. (2012 winter). "Preparing Faculty to Better Serve Veterans," an edited excerpt from Forty Percent of 2 Million: Preparing to Serve our Veterans with Disabilities by Bruce C. Kelley, Ernetta L. Fox, Justin M. Smith, and Lisa A. Wittenhagen, University of South Dakota.
Learn more about military life and student veterans' perspectives
- Blum, R. (2015). "The Hard Path from Afghanistan to the Classroom," At War: Notes From the Front Lines, The New York Times.
- Felix, R. (2013). "The Division of Generation Y."
- Galucci, R. (2013). "How to Help Veterans Succeed in College," The New York Times.
- The Journal of Military Experience: Bridging the Gap Between Military and Civilian Cultures through Creative Expression and Scholarship.
Campus resources for instructors
- Office of Student Veterans: 401-863-7682 / email@example.com / HUB 327