Commencement is an important event for you, your family, and the entire University community. To participate in this event, eligible graduate students need to take several steps beginning in mid-January:
1. Fill out the Application to Graduate on self-service Banner by May 1 (Registrar's requirement)
- The University can only graduate and generate diplomas for graduate students who complete this application.
- The application, which is available from mid-January until May 1, enables you to list your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma and be read at Commencement. The default formula is first name, middle name, last name.
- Indicate whether you will participate in the May 26 Commencement Procession and the Graduate School ceremony for doctoral or master's students. The ceremonies are concurrent.
- Once logged into Banner, select the Student Records menu and select the Application to Graduate menu item.
2. Complete the Award Form by May 1 (Graduate School requirement)
Identify awards and honors you received while a graduate student at Brown, for possible inclusion in the Commencement program. Please do so regardless of whether you plan to attend a ceremony.
3. Rent or purchase academic regalia.
You must wear regalia appropriate for your degree to participate in the procession and ceremony. There are no exceptions to this rule. You can order your academic regalia online at the Brown Bookstore beginning for pick up in May. Master’s candidates and PhD candidates need a gown, cap or tam, and a hood. The Bookstore charges an additional $6.50 late fee for rental orders placed after April 15.
4. Pre-register with GradImages, our Commencement photographer, for the opportunity to order photos. Photo samples and ordering information will be mailed to you after the event. Search for Brown University on the Pre-Event Registration page.
5. Plan to check-in at the Graduate School: Horace Mann, Room 103 at 47 George Street from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Friday, May 24 or Saturday, May 25. This is a required step.
6. Plan to attend the Graduate Student Reception on Saturday, May 25 from 4 - 5:30 pm.
If you have questions regarding this year’s ceremony or our preparations, please contact Susan Ely at 401-863-9546.
Certified Electronic Diplomas
Brown offers graduates the opportunity to purchase a Certified Electronic (Ce) Diploma. Find out more.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations during the weekend should contact the Office of University Events and Conference Services as far in advance of Commencement as possible at 401-863-3100 and complete the Handicapped Parking Pass form requesting a parking permit for persons with special accessibility needs.