Frequently Asked Questions

Sunday, May 24, 2020

There will be a live video broadcast of the Procession, College ceremony and University ceremony to the College Green, Salomon Center and Sayles Hall. Many other ceremonies will also be livestreamed on the web.

On-campus: Reservations for on-campus dormitory housing will be available for friends and family of students participating in Commencement as well as alumni celebrating Reunion. Room reservations are now being accepted online. 

Off-campus: For information about off-campus hotels and other lodgings, please refer to Brown's Travel Portal Page.

Yes, all students need to apply to graduate via Banner web. Instructions for doing so can be found on the For Students page.

Since the majority of events are outside, guests are strongly encouraged to dress according to the weather - layers are usually a good recommendation overall. While some guests enjoy getting dressed up for Campus Dance, there is no formal dress code. For the Commencement ceremonies, guests are welcome to wear what they would like, but the majority of guests often wear business casual attire. Comfortable shoes and flats are also recommended. 

One of Brown's best-loved Reunion and Commencement traditions, Campus Dance brings over 11,000 people to Brown to dance the night away under a sky lit with over 600 paper lanterns. The evening joins together graduating seniors and their families, alumni of all ages, and Brown faculty and staff. Everyone enjoys meeting old classmates, seeing favorite professors and being with friends and family. Call 401-863-7783 for more information, or visit the Campus Dance website.

Tickets are not required for any of the Commencement ceremonies. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. The reserved sections of open seats in the center at the University Ceremony are for the seniors and graduate and medical students. 

International students in F1/J1 nonimmigrant status who wish to invite family members to attend Commencement should contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) for more information. Visitor may also request a letter by filling out the tourist visa letter request form.

For emergencies or urgent medical care, call 401-863-4111 (3-4111 from a campus phone, indicated around campus by blue lights; you may also choose to use the red emergency button at these phones). Emergency medical personnel will be available at major campus functions throughout the weekend and will be happy to assist you.

Brown Health Services, located at Andrews House at 13 Brown Street, will be open Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon. Twenty-four-hour nursing advice is available by calling 401-863-1330. 

Brown's Department of Public Safety coordinates the lost and found desk. If you find an item, bring it to Department of Public Safety headquarters at 75 Charlesfield St. Call 401-863-3322 regarding any lost items.

View the Storm Plan page for more information.

Medical students should refer to Academic Regalia instructions under Special Instructions for Medical Students.

Medical school graduates receive their degrees at the Medical school ceremony held at the First Unitarian Church.