In case I cannot obtain a student visa in time for the start of fall classes, what steps should I take next?

Students who are unable to obtain a student visa in time for spring semester, should contact their academic units as soon as possible. Undergraduate students should contact the College ([email protected]), and graduate students should contact their respective academic department. 

 Students in initial F-1 status are still expected to arrive in the U.S. within 30 days of the program begin date listed on their I-20 (or earlier if stipulated per the terms of their pre-approval from either the College, the Graduate School or the School of Professional Studies). Students who are unable to meet this timeline, should immediately contact their respective academic advising deans before the begin date listed on their I-20. 

Only eligible master’s students can request to have their immigration document deferred until they can enter the U.S. Once a master’s student is approved for deferral, OISSS will forward a copy of your new I-20 to you. OISSS will issue a new I-20 accordingly with the updated program begin date. The deferral request process for immigration purposes also applies to students who have been approved to take classes remotely from outside the U.S. After you have received your new I-20, you may use it to schedule a new visa appointment or update your information for a pending appointment.