Dear Members of the Brown International Student Community:
As you may have heard, the United States Government has agreed to rescind the July 6 ICE Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) policy directive regarding international students engaging in remote learning on a nationwide basis, as well as the July 7 FAQ and any implementation of its directives. The U.S. Government will return to the previous guidance issued on March 9 and March 13, 2020, which is further clarified in a July 15, 2020 FAQ and a broadcast message and subsequent FAQ on July 24, 2020. You can read more about the update here.
This reversal in policy is an important recognition of the extraordinary contributions that international students make to our university communities. We are grateful to MIT and Harvard and the more than 200 institutions across the United States, including Brown, that opposed the ICE SEVP July 6 & 7 guidance.
We have updated the FAQ for International Students and other related sources to reflect the implication of this decision and will continue to monitor any further updates on this matter.
We know that you may have questions after reviewing these updated resources, and we have provided contact information below for offices that are providing ongoing support. Because Global Brown is managing a high volume of emails related to Brown's fall plans, academic advising and other COVID-19 related inquiries, please allow 3-5 business days for the offices to respond. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
- The College: Email [email protected], call 401-863-9800, refer to the Undergraduate FAQ website or sign up for an individual virtual advising appointment with an academic dean.
- The Graduate School & School of Professional Studies: Interim Associate Dean for International Graduate Students, Shayna Kessel ([email protected]) and refer to the Graduate School FAQ website.
- OISSS (Office of International Student and Scholar Services): Email [email protected] or schedule an appointment online: brown.edu/go/oisss
- Global Brown Center: [email protected] / Meeting Link with GBC Program Director
- Office of International Programs: Email [email protected], call 401-863-3555
- Global Brown: If you have any other questions or are unsure whom to contact, please email [email protected]
- Panetha Ott, Director of International Admissions: Contact for incoming first year undergraduate students. Email [email protected]
The Global Brown team
Last updated August 3, 2020. Information on this page may be updated as the University’s planning evolves and/or immigration guidance prompts a shift in Brown’s operations and protocols.