The program offers enough flexibility to allow for completion of the degree in two, three, or four semesters of full-time enrollment, depending on a student's background. The program may also be completed with part-time enrollment over a longer period.
Applicants are expected to have a strong background in physics or closely related subjects at the undergraduate level.
Please note that the following requirements are for the previous application cycle and will be updated in late Summer 2021.
- GRE General: Not required
- GRE Subject: Not required
- Personal Statement: 1000-1500 word personal statement that gives your reasons to pursue graduate work in the field of your study. The statement should include examples of your past work in your chosen field, your plans for study at Brown, issues and problems you'd like to address in your field and your professional goals.
- Recommendations: Three (3) recommendations required
- Resume: Required
- TOEFL/IELTS: Required for any non-native English speaker who does not have a degree from an institution where English is the sole language of instruction or from a University in the following countries: Australia, Bahamas, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada (except Quebec), Ethiopia, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Tanzania, Gambia, Uganda, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales), West Indies, Zambia).
We will NOT be accepting the TOEFL at home version or the IELTS Indicator exam. However, we WILL be accepting the TOEFL ITP Plus exam for students in mainland China.
If you have any questions regarding the application process for this program, please email [email protected].
Application Deadline: Applications to this program are closed for Fall 2021 entry and will reopen in late summer 2021. Brown undergraduates may apply as a Fifth-Year Master’s student through May 1, 2021.