The Master of Fine Arts in Playwriting is a three–year program. Students take a strong hand in designing their own course of study.
- Writing Samples (2): The first should be a complete piece of any length in dramatic form (“dramatic” understood liberally). The second may be a part of a whole, and in any medium; if writing, no more than 15 pages, if visual no more than 15 images, if sound/video, no more than 15 minutes. If you have trouble uploading a second sample, or if it cannot be uploaded, please send it to the Graduate School, clearly marked Playwriting Application.
- Statement of Purpose: What are your writing goals over the next few years, and how can Brown's program serve them?
- Three Recommendations: At least one must speak directly to your work as a theater artist.
- TOEFL: required for applicants from non-English speaking countries only; see the Graduate School website for details.
- GRE General: Not required
- GRE Subject: Not required
- Inquiries should be addressed to Patricia Ybarra, Chair of Theatre Arts and Performance Studies, Box 1897, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912.
Application Deadline: January 10
The program provides a Financial Aid package that covers tuition, health fee and health insurance for three years of full-time enrollment. Students receive a 50% stipend during academic Year 1 (based on a 9-month academic calendar) and 100% stipends during academic Years 2 and 3. Students also receive a stipend for two summers. Funding is contingent on students remaining in good standing.