The Master of Fine Arts in Playwriting is a three–year program. Students take a strong hand in designing their own course of study.
- Writing Samples (2): The first should be a complete piece of any length in dramatic form (“dramatic” understood liberally). The second may be a part of a whole, and in any medium; if writing, no more than 15 pages, if visual no more than 15 images, if sound/video, no more than 15 minutes. If you have trouble uploading a second sample, or if it cannot be uploaded, please send it to the Graduate School, clearly marked Playwriting Application.
- Statement of Purpose: What are your writing goals over the next few years, and how can Brown's program serve them?
- Three Recommendations: At least one must speak directly to your work as a theater artist.
- TOEFL: required for applicants from non-English speaking countries only; see the Graduate School website for details.
- GRE General: Not required
- GRE Subject: Not required
- Inquiries should be made to Julia Jarcho, Head of Playwriting, Theatre Arts and Performance Studies.
Application Deadline: January 4
The application for fall 2022 admission will open in late August.
The program provides a financial aid package that covers tuition, health fee and health insurance for three years of full-time enrollment. In addition, the program provides stipends for fall and spring semesters for each year of full-time enrollment as well as a stipend for two summers (following first and second years). Funding is contingent on students remaining in good standing.