Mail App: Automatic Configuration (start here!)
These instructions will:
- Connect the iPhone’s Mail app to Brown Gmail (without affecting other mail accounts)
- Enforce the use of a passcode on your device
- Give you access to a Brown app store via a “Brown iOs Apps” shortcut on the home screen (Brown-owned devices only)
Step by Step:
- Visit the installation link and click Install to start the installation:
- Follow the steps that appear on screen, entering your information when prompted. If prompted to enter your username and password “for the Exchange server”, use your full email address (e.g., Josiah_Carberry@brown.edu) and your email password.
Once finished installing, your mail will take some time to synchronize the first time.
If you have problems with the steps above, but you can also set up your device manually:
Use your full Brown email address as your username when following these instructions.
You may wonder why you are adding a Microsoft Exchange account instead of a Gmail account. This setup allows IT staff to wipe the data off your device (at your request) if it gets stolen.
Instead of (or along with) the Mail app, some people choose to use the Gmail app available from the App Store. Why? It is more integrated with Gmail features, for example: you can search mail older than a month and switch to delegated accounts like departmental email addresses.
- Install the Gmail App from the App Store and log in with your Brown Gmail account.
- Complete the Automatic Configuration instructions above, which sets up the Mail app as well. Why? Your device can be wiped of data by IT staff (by request) if it is lost or stolen.
- Since you have both the Mail and Gmail app set up, you will want to adjust your settings so you don’t get duplicate notifications. Go to Settings > Notifications and look for the Mail app. Choose the Brown Gmail profile and turn off notifications if desired.
- If you primarily plan to use the Gmail app instead of the Mail app, you could replace the Mail icon in your dock by long-holding and dragging icons to rearrange.