Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

If you have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in English, you do not have to take an English language test. For more details, please look at Brown's TOEFL/IELTS waiver policy on this page.

In order to request an English language exam (TOEFL/IELTS) waiver due to COVID-19 related hardships, complete the waiver request form found within the online application. The form requires applicants to upload documentation to confirm their waiver request reasoning. Please note that the TOEFL/IELTS waiver request must be submitted no later than 14 days before the application deadline. Upon submission, your request will be reviewed and a specialist will connect with you. 

We will NOT be accepting the TOEFL at home version or the IELTS Indicator exam. However, we WILL be accepting the TOEFL ITP Plus exam for students in mainland China.

If you attended and completed a degree at an institution outside of the U.S. where English was the sole language of instruction, then you are not required to submit English scores. If this is the case, please email [email protected] upon submitting your application so we can manually waive the requirement. Please note that for applicants who completed a degree from one of the following nations (Australia, Bahamas, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada [except Quebec], Ethiopia, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Tanzania, Gambia, Uganda, United Kingdom, West Indies, Zambia), an English language exam is not required. No waiver submission or email is necessary.

Component Location