How to Apply to the SR-EIP Program
The goal of Leadership Alliance summer research programs is to mentor undergraduates who wish to pursue careers in research at the PhD level. Underserved and underrepresented students are encouraged to apply. All applicants to the Brown SR-EIP must apply with the Leadership Alliance application form and should select Brown as their first, second or third choice of site.
The application form is available online starting November 1, 2019 and must be completed by February 1, 2020. Students will be notified of admission decisions throughout February, March and April.
Applicants must possess the following:
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited public or private college or university in the U.S. or its territories as recognized by the US Department of Education.
- Be in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Completed at least two semesters and have at least one semester remaining of their undergraduate education by the start of the summer program
- Demonstrated interest and potential to pursue graduate study
- Documented US citizenship or permanent resident status
Applicants must submit the SR-EIP online application, transcripts, and two letters of recommendation from faculty or others who can attest to the applicant's overall suitability for a research experience.
The placement process at Brown is multilayered. First, in the Brown SR-EIP office, the summer coordinator and staff review all applications where Brown was selected as a research site preference. Then a subset of these applications is distributed to department chairs, program coordinators and/or faculty mentors, who identify the applicants whose interests and abilities best match the current research opportunities available at Brown. We contact these students first by email, with information about their assigned research mentor. At the same time, we provide details about the stipend amount, travel and housing.